Treadmill? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Treadmill?

Anyone hereus train their dogs to run on a treadmill? I saw this on youtube and thought it was a great idea for handling anxious dogs with pent up energy. Granted you still need time to train and work the dog's brain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Crowned Member

I thought about it but a GSD has a very long gaiting stride and it's difficult to find a treadmill (especially an affordable one) not specifically designed for dogs that can match the GSD's stride, otherwise the dog is gaiting wrong on the treadmill. I'm just going with biking instead.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Elite Member

We started Max on the treadmill when we first got him at 8 weeks. He was always jumping up on it and using it like his private perch (not turned on). So, I started turning it on in a slow walk speed and carried him while I walked on it. He didn't mind at all. I then place him down between my legs (again pretty slow speed and Sarah placed herself at the front of it, because he had a tendency to try and out run it. He's 14 weeks now and he's been on it about 12-15 times now. We obviously are not pushing him, but he does seem to really enjoy it. He has to be closely supervised and sort of gently held by the collar or on leash, but he can do just about any speed.

Max is pretty much fearless and I'm not sure that a lot of dogs wouldn't be spooked by one. The key for us was getting him used to it and the sound very early. I'm looking forward to using it as a healthy adjunct to his walks and play time. Taking it slow and hoping he craves it a little eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:17 PM

One of my boxers loves it, the other one won't go near it. Chelsea will go and sit on it and wait for me to turn it on. I only leave her on for 10mins and I never make her run, just a nice walk, the other day I got Hawkeye on it at first he tried to get of, but it only took about a min and he was walking on it I only left him on for 3 mins. I'm hoping he gets to like it as much as Chelsea does, it's great for built up energy on the days you can't take them out.

Hawkeye (GSD):March 5/10
Chelsea (Boxer):April 21/08
Austin (ShihTzu):August 2/02
At Bridge: Callie(Bichon),Jackson(Boxer),Mickey(Spaniel),Keis ha(GSD),Stryker(Boxer),Fay(Terrier)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
I think they're a great way to exercise your dog when you can't walk them. Iv'e been thinking about getting my dogs one so on those rainy days (not that there's a lot of them in southern california) so they can get their energy out.

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I thought about it but a GSD has a very long gaiting stride and it's difficult to find a treadmill (especially an affordable one) not specifically designed for dogs that can match the GSD's stride, otherwise the dog is gaiting wrong on the treadmill. I'm just going with biking instead.

Agreed. I have a very nice, high-end treadmill and I tried putting Cash on it but his back feet kept coming off. Also I didn't want dog fur in my good treadmill!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Knighted Member

I've put Dakota on a treadmill. Mine is a longer one which was suitable for running (some are not).

I work her up to a fast walk and stick with the speed that she is walking easily. I only keep her on for a max of 10 minutes. I think the speed is 2.7 miles per hour. I used to walk at 4 miles per hour on the treadmill. I need to get that speed back.

I will be taking her on a small bike daily bike ride and keeping her at a slow trot.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Elite Member

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Knighted Member

You can get a dog treadmill custom made. Or make one yourself, let me find a few links for you.

Here's a nice read:
http://www.pitbulllovers.com/trainin...mill-work.html

Colby I have heard nothing but good things about, they aren't cheap though.
http://www.colbypitbull.com/treadmil.htm

Better off making your own carpet mill or something... Far cheaper.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.

Last edited by APBTLove; 06-10-2010 at 11:28 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Knighted Member

Here is a dog's first time on a homemade carpet mill...

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page