training sessions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

training sessions?

if im doing sessions of training each day, about how long should i do this for per day? and is it bad to practice multiple commands at once?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Crowned Member

5 minute sessions is plenty long for a three month old(not sure your pups age), keep it fun and mix up the rewards/ ball or food to pay. I would not do the multiples. But you can build upon each lesson as you go along. Stay with one or two and keep it simple and FUN!

Focus and bonding is all I really did with my pup, luring him into position and marking it when he was there. Precision in his position was very important, so I worked on that,too(even though he didn't know it, it was more for me).
Getting the pup to come to you with any distractions is important too, so recall exercises were part of our training. This video is great for young pups, nothing more really needed at this age:
YouTube - RoniTristar's Channel
After a training session, it is great to crate the pup for a bit so they can process what they've just learned. I would do 3 five to ten minute sessions max per day and not push the puppy beyond their attention span. Michael Ellis videos are great, you can get clips on Leerburgs site.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-04-2010 at 11:46 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

sorry i should have mentioned he is about 7 months old and has no previous training. what do you mean by precision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Knighted Member

You want to keep your sessions short. 5 to 15 minutes max. The shorter the better. You can do multiple sessions each day, just keep them short. Make them fun and always end on a positive note.
It's okay to use mulitple commands. You want to be sure he's understanding the commands you start with as you add new ones

There are other ways to teach during these times as well. When you are playing and the dog exhibits behaviors you want, use the command word you want to assign to that behavior. The dog's running toward you?--"good come!"

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 12:07 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileytheshep View Post
sorry i should have mentioned he is about 7 months old and has no previous training. what do you mean by precision?
Even for a 7 month old, you have to start at the beginning! By precision, I mean the position where the pup is placed when I say sit(in heeling) should be straight at my side or directly in front, no sloppiness. This is up to me to lure him there so when he gets paid, he is in the correct position and I am rewarding him in the right place as well...otherwise it takes alot of time to fix it.
We are training in SchH so everything should be right as you teach it, or you waste time repairing. We are still a work in progress at 15 months old! But I don't rush it either.

Kayla's dad is right, any good behavior should be marked and rewarded, all day long. Clicker training is wonderful, and the dog seems to catch on quickly.

If the dog doesn't come when you call, do not reprimand ever. Make him coming to you the best thing, big party even if he hesitates. Recall is one of the most important commands thru-out the life of a dog, it can save them from harm as well.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-05-2010 at 12:12 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:11 AM

Our trainer recommended...

Our trainer recommended... that we put our 5 month pup in her crate for 30 minutes to an hour before we train and we should train before her meals so she isn't full and overheating outside in the sun...
He said 20 minutes, twice a day with a 5 minute relax/play time at the end.
So, far it's been working out great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page