Video of Yukon & Indra/ Eyecontact & Focus - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Video of Yukon & Indra/ Eyecontact & Focus

I made a video of how I train eye contact and focus.

Would love for feedback and especially critique from those who do it much longer than I do.

I think the puppy is doing pretty good for her age.

However when I saw the video myself I realized that I should use smaller treats. They were chewing them up instead of swallowing them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:17 PM

great job !! Both looked very focused !

Can I throw out a couple of suggestions I know this was informal time, so take it for what its worth You are kinda slouching,,standing up straighter , shoulders back/chest out, will give you more of a confidence stance..

I would also switch around the treat hand,,in fact when I took a clicker class (and it looks like your using a clicker),,trainer had us hold the treats in our clicker hand, keep the clicker behind our back (like your doing with your other hand), click behind your back, and treat..

I also tend to 'spit' treats, so the dog is looking towards my face ..(and hey spitting takes practice and you certainly don't want something really yucky to spit to the dog either LOL)..

Otherwise,,GOOD JOB, great focus on both, and yes, for being so young, she is looking good,,,I bet that tail of hers is a killer LOL

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Knighted Member

How old is puppy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandrenee View Post
How old is puppy?
She's going into the fifth month now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
great job !! Both looked very focused !

Can I throw out a couple of suggestions I know this was informal time, so take it for what its worth You are kinda slouching,,standing up straighter , shoulders back/chest out, will give you more of a confidence stance..

I would also switch around the treat hand,,in fact when I took a clicker class (and it looks like your using a clicker),,trainer had us hold the treats in our clicker hand, keep the clicker behind our back (like your doing with your other hand), click behind your back, and treat..

I also tend to 'spit' treats, so the dog is looking towards my face ..(and hey spitting takes practice and you certainly don't want something really yucky to spit to the dog either LOL)..

Otherwise,,GOOD JOB, great focus on both, and yes, for being so young, she is looking good,,,I bet that tail of hers is a killer LOL
Thank you for the advise. I would do the spitting but Yukon can't fetch food for what it's worth and is always on the ground with his nose. I hope I can teach him that. Maybe he'll learn when I am constantly doing it?

Usually I am using cheese, in that video I used partially his meal.

I usually have the clickerhand behind my back, like the treats. I will definitely make sure that I change my body. I know I tend to slouch, took me hard work to get rid of that in the formal training but I guess it's a good thing not to let myself go at home either. So thank you
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Knighted Member

why clicker and treats behind the back?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I actually prefer not to spit treats, not that I could get them anywhere close enough to the dogs for them to actually catch them anyway! I want them to look at my face no matter where the food is, not to look at my face because food might fly out of it at any moment.

You can also get a wrist coil for your clicker, which is very handy. I use my last two fingers to hold the clicker against my hand (I use the kind with a button, not the box kind) and my first three fingers to hold treats. That way I can use either/both hands to deliver treats. If I accidentally "drop" the clicker, it's still right there around my wrist.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I have a problem with the clicker and treats holding in one hand.

When I am working them in Unterordnung I usually have the leash and the clicker in my right hand and the treats in my left hand. I would actually hold the clicer in my left hand too but I can't. I have nerve damage (already had a surgery two years ago) and can't hold too many things without letting it fall or get a cramp in my hand. Just to give you a picture. I couldn't even pick up a nickel from the dinnertable, that is how bad it was.
you can even see one treat falling out of my left hand because I've got a hard time to hold it together and that is why I click in the right and treat with the left. Also because the left hand is closer to the dog when I am working them.

But I am happy for any advise given and I try to work something out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page