Help With Clicker Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Help With Clicker Training

Yesterday I bought a clicker and watched a few youtube videos on how to "charge" the clicker and a few other short intros to clicker training. Things are going well so far, he understands the clicker and is listening well. I just have a few questions as to how far can I go with it.

How can I use it on walks to heel?

How long before I should start phasing out treats?

Will rewards without the clicker confuse him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:00 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Thing about the clicker and why it works is hinged to TIME and not rushing. Tons of tiny treats/clicks for initial 'behaviors' and then building on them to later click/treat for other behaviors.

You can use it for ANYTHING! I know it worked great for attention heeling. You only phase out the treats when you get the behavior reliably, though FRANKLY I use treats through out my dogs lives. Just go to the random reinforcement.

Since all early training has NO TALKING from us............while the dog learns, that takes time.

Then we DO add a word for the behavior............and that takes time.

Transitioning to random reinforcement ..............and that takes time.

I guess I'm saying don't rush anything! Use the time to refine your knowledge and use of the clicker, I know I've been doing it for over 10 years and still sometimes have really poor timing with the click. Backchaining. Random reinforcement. Building behaviors. All important terms.

ClickFlicks -- ClickerExpo Shaping Session! :: Dog training videos for download from Karen Pryor Clickertraining

ClickFlicks -- Fosbury Flop in 15 minutes! :: Dog training videos for download from Karen Pryor Clickertraining

ClickFlicks -- Teaching the Puppy Recall :: Dog training videos for download from Karen Pryor Clickertraining

http://clickertraining.tv/product.ht...m=KPDLVDLL1-04

Rewards without the clicker are fine. The clicker is best for teaching NEW behaviors cause it so precisely 'marks' the exact second they are doing what we are wanting.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Knighted Member

I totally agree with MRL. In the beginning you want to be generous to a fault with your click/reward and be fast, fast, fast with the clicks. Don't worry about fading out treats or intermittent reinforcement for awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Elite Member

Also, While I could be wrong, while you can eventually fade out the treating frequency, something that must be consistant is the clicker treat combo. Everytime they hear that "CLICK" they get a treat.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDSunshine View Post
Also, While I could be wrong, while you can eventually fade out the treating frequency, something that must be consistant is the clicker treat combo. Everytime they hear that "CLICK" they get a treat.
Yes. If you click and don't treat, the clicker fades in significance to the dog. Or so I've read.

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 01:15 AM
HMV

I have never done clicker training, but having read the above what I don't understand is why the NO TALKING on stage one? for example if you see the dog going into a sit position naturally by himself, why can't you go straight to stage 2, say sit and click as he is doing it followed by the treat?

ups, Das hat er noch nie gemacht!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page