Hide and Seek Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Hide and Seek Question

Hondo loves to play Hide & Seek. When he was young, what ever room I was in, I'd leave that light on. I think he is on to that and now will just run through the house looking for the room with the light, and then go and search for me.

We began playing (at night) with out the aid of a lighted room. It struck me last night, as I was hiding under a bed, that I could startle Hondo which could result in a bite.

Now, I'm assuming that he is searching for me via scent, and would have no problem recognizing me as I am squished under the bed - but that is an assumption.

Has anybody (who plays Hide & Seek) ever had an adverse reaction when playing in the dark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

Sin and I play Hide and Seek too!

I cant turn the lights off, I'll stumble around like a fool and make too much noise.

I have really good hiding spots and he always finds me right away so I thought that maybe I stunk so I took a shower and put on fresh clothes only to have the exact same result

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Elite Member

never REALLY had any adverse effects. We had one lab that went insane when he found you and you wished he would've never found you. Would've made a great search and rescue dog.. well search dog people would've preferred not to be rescued once he found them lol.

We however have deliberately tried to startle our dogs in the dark I have kept them in the house late at night my husband would go outside and go down wind hide behind the garage or somewhere and then I would come out with the dogs and he'd sneak up on them (we were in the country no street lights or anything) Most of the times they caught on before he even got close every great once in awhile he startled them and they charged but within "striking distance" they would realize it was him and put the brakes on super quick worst we've had were a few body clashes from them not stopping fast enough but no biting or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Hondo did try to squish under the bed with me - I'll have to re-think the fun in that hiding place - but that was when I thought I'd be in trouble if he decided I was a monster and he wanted to eat my face.

He loves Hide in Seek - but normally it begins with him rushing through the house, which is a no-no. So I'm thinking that what he enjoys is being able to run in the house and not get into trouble. He never comes straight for me. It takes him a lap or two through the house before he gets serious.

Some times he loses his thought process and he'll find a long lost squeaky toy, and I'll hear him running through the house with the toy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

What a treat, another Hondo story! You're so right - smart Hondo has sure figured out a way to "have his cake and eat it too" or in his case, running in the house. I sure won't worry about Hondo mistaking you for an intruder - he's too busy having fun on his "cross-house" romps. Oh boy, I can just picture him - after cruising through the hallways and rooms - he thinks -"I forget someone - I'd better go find her, or she'll start to catch on". It might be better if you changed the rules of the game, and had Hondo wait on the down/stay. (Even put him in his crate) You take the toy (perhaps a Kong with a "reward" inside - and hide it. Then say to Hondo (whose future training plans include tracking) - "go find it". You can even "turn the tables" and go behind him sayng "you're getting warmer". And don't think he won't know that the (if I dare mention the word with the barn cats) "cat is out of the bag."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned

what's the purpose in deliberately
starling your dog?

[quote=Holmeshx2;1830608

We however have deliberately tried to startle our dogs in the dark I have kept them in the house late at night my husband would go outside and go down wind hide behind the garage or somewhere and then I would come out with the dogs and he'd sneak up on them (we were in the country no street lights or anything) [/quote]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Banned

you squished under the bed is very, very funny.

i think your dog knows it you under the bed
and he won't bite you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post

Now, I'm assuming that he is searching for me via scent, and would have no problem recognizing me as I am squished under the bed - but that is an assumption.

Has anybody (who plays Hide & Seek) ever had an adverse reaction when playing in the dark?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Banned

what's wrong with hiding from your dog
and them have them come and find you?

i hide many different things for my dog
to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
It might be better if you changed the rules of the game, and had Hondo wait on the down/stay. (Even put him in his crate) You take the toy (perhaps a Kong with a "reward" inside - and hide it. Then say to Hondo (whose future training plans include tracking) - "go find it". You can even "turn the tables" and go behind him sayng "you're getting warmer". And don't think he won't know that the (if I dare mention the word with the barn cats) "cat is out of the bag."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Crowned Member

Nothing's "wrong" with it - but isn't it fun to play new games? If the dog is using hide 'n seek as a way to run in the house and detouring to find his toys, that's not the purpose of the game. If the dog's future training plans include tracking, why let him start to get "off the scent" playng his version of hide 'n seek? Won't that make his tracking training harder?

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page