Feeling like a bad mommy.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Feeling like a bad mommy....

I love my dog Mavrik more than i EVER thought i could love a dog, we are so attached and ever since we had him my husband has been home during the day (he is 16 weeks). He is very good about going in his crate when we are not home and sometimes lays in there to nap which is good because i know he does not see it as a place of punishment but heres my question... My husband is going back to work soon which will put poor Mavy is his kennel all day until i get home. I am feeling soooo guilty and that he might be mad at me!! silly i know, but were so attached to him and he is just such a good boy. Will his day go by fast in there? Anyone have a similar experience? i just want to know that my boy will not feel "un-loved", depressed or mad....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:47 PM

how about checking into doggie daycare for him a couple times a week, or having a dog walker come over once during the day?? Would definately relieve the boredom of being in a crate all day long)

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Master Member

We were home with Mia until she was 16 weeks too. We created a safe zone in the family room / kitchen with two gates and we Puppy proofed. (Mia was housebroken at 10 weeks). We left her with lots of safe toys and she did fine. We invested in two nice "people freindly" gates. I also walked her before work, so she was ready for a nice nap when I left for work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:42 AM
Crowned Member

Nobody likes crating their dog, but it's a much better alternative than coming home to a disaster or a hurt dog. I've seen videos of what dogs do at home when left alone and for the most part they just sleep the whole time and that's what your dog is probably doing in his crate.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to momsgoingaited
macymart, why would he be "mad" at you?
Please make sure he gets plenty of excercise though & his regular training time as well.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:10 AM
Crowned Member

i really like judynrich's suggestion, and jakoda's too. but elaine has a point. could you start doing the judynrich thing for short periods of time at first, like on the weekend or in the evening, to see how he does. being in a crate all day, while better than getting into something that could hurt him, is a pretty long time.

dogs don't have quite the same emotions as humans (although sometimes i do wonder a bit about that), and it's more likely that he'll be bored rather than mad, so some kind of alternative like doggy day care once in a while or a dog walker would be very cool for him. and really good exercise is so necessary.

it's always so great to read posts from people who love their dogs so much!

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Knighted Member

Unfortunately my husband and I both have always worked, so right from the begining they have had to deal with being alone. I definately get them out every morning. There is nothing better than when I come home everyone is so happy to see me. I also noticed on the days I am home, they usually sleep all day anyway! What a life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page