Moving from the Kennel to the Doggie Pad - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Moving from the Kennel to the Doggie Pad

I've decided that Hondo is old enough and well behaved enough to sleep outside his kennel and on a doggie pad in our bed room. Honestly, I'm eager to remove the kennel from my bed room.

So with plans carefully laid out, we went through our normal bed time routine. The only change was I pulled his pad out of the kennel, put it next to my side of the bed and shut his kennel. When Hondo quietly laid on his doggie pad my heart swelled with pride and I shut my eyes to sleep.

Just as I entered into twilight, I felt hot air on me and I opened my eyes. Hondo had his head on the bed, inches from my face, staring at me. I scolded him and told him to go back to bed. Which, he did. Great pup. I listened to him moving around attempting to settle and then all was quiet.

Next thing I know my pillow is being yanked out from under my head and I bolt upright in bed. That little freak stole my pillow, ran into the bathroom and dragged it into the shower with him! So back into the kennel he went. I stole one of hubby's pillows and waited for my heart to settle so I could go back to sleep.

Ok, Hondo does have a pillow and I didn't think to take it out of the kennel when I removed his pad. And yes, I forgot that Hondo really likes to sleep in the shower. But those small details were not part of my master plan.

Apparently I didn't discuss this change of routine with Hondo and he took offense to it. Although I have no problem with Hondo sleeping in the shower, I'm not real keen at the idea of pillows in the shower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Crowned Member

Oh Lilie!!!! Too funny

I was going to say "You were saying that when your alarm goes off for the 2nd time you can hear Hondo's tail thumping and then he starts to whine. Just wait until he jumps up on you!

Or he could be like Sinister and rip your sheets right off of you

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
Oh Lilie!!!! Too funny

I was going to say "You were saying that when your alarm goes off for the 2nd time you can hear Hondo's tail thumping and then he starts to whine. Just wait until he jumps up on you!

Or he could be like Sinister and rip your sheets right off of you
See, I did have a 'plan' for that part as well. I decided I would let him out at the first alarm and then go back to bed as I would have earned myself 2 snoozes! The mini dach is under the covers and she isn't a morning person.

He has never even touched our pillows in the past. And from the soggyness of my pillow he had been working on it for a while. I have to stay one step ahead of that sneaky little fart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Crowned Member

Sneaky little fart

ahahahahahhahahahahahahaha gets me every time

Lauren

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Knighted Member

Om my how I laughed! You told that so well! Naughty Hondo the sneaky little fart!!!!!!

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 AM

LOL!!! This is too funny, and cute. How old is Hondo?

I logged on this morning for just this topic. Sofie is now 5 months old and the hubby brought up the topic of when will she be old enough to leave out of her kennel at night, or even during the day when we're not at home.

Obviously, 5 months is too early, well...for her, but when have posters had success with this? I have some co-workers with GSDs that leave them out all day/night, with no problem - new chewing, no destruction, etc. And others that are 2-3 years old that still are in their kennel during the day because they are destructive.

I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Master Member

Too funny!! When we started transitioning Echo from crate to dog bed, I woke up one night the sound of incessant "jingling"...I investigated cautiously to find Echo had pulled one of the couch cushions off the couch and was playing frisbee with what was left of it in the living room. The jingling sound was her collar tags clinking together as she leaped up to catch the cushion she was tossing around. The living room looked like a yellow foam snow storm with all the shredded cushion all over the place. Needless to say, Echo slept in the crate for a while longer after that....

-LeeAnn
There are two kinds of dogs: Dogs who are German Shepherds, and dogs who WISH they were German Shepherds....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Echo of Someday Vom Royale, CD, RA, CGC, TDI
Laughin' Tori Lori, CD, RN, CGC
Marcella's Miss Ruby Dee, RN, CGC, TDI
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUL958 View Post

I logged on this morning for just this topic. Sofie is now 5 months old and the hubby brought up the topic of when will she be old enough to leave out of her kennel at night, or even during the day when we're not at home.

Obviously, 5 months is too early, well...for her, but when have posters had success with this? I have some co-workers with GSDs that leave them out all day/night, with no problem - new chewing, no destruction, etc. And others that are 2-3 years old that still are in their kennel during the day because they are destructive.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a puppy under the age of 7 months out of his/her kennel without me being there.

I tried to leave Sinister out of his kennel alone when he was 8 months old and he ripped up my carpet, I tried again several months later and he ate some of the wall by my door (the trim isn't up around the door yet so he thought the wall looked delicious) Sinister is now 15 months old and I am leaving his kennel open at night time because he sleeps in my room with the door shut. He has not chewed anything yet, but I still do not trust him to stay out alone when I am away at work

Lauren

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUL958 View Post

Hondo will be 9 months old on the 13th of June. He doesn't mean to be destructive, but he is such a big boy and clutsy. He reminds me of Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean. He means well, but causes so much chaos in his wake.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Knighted Member

Molly is 7 months old and I'm afraid there is no way in **** I think she is ready to be out of her crate at night! I too am wondering when this could happen. My 2 previous dogs were never crated in fact I had never heard of such a thing then and I had no problems what so ever with them. This one...well today she discovered the plug on the outside fridge and chewed it off. This fridge is not plugged in thank god and I know it is my fault for not realising she could get to it. I can see her being 12 and still sleeping in a crate!

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page