Socialization - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Socialization

So I am not sure if this thread is in the right section, but I was wondering if some one can point me in the right direction of some socialization classes for my dog. I am not sure how old he is the vet said from 5 to 7 months, but was not exactly sure. I have noticed that he is skiddish of people and other dogs and I would like to rid him of this or at least relax him of it. I am from Connecticut if anyone is from the area and knows of something like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Crowned Member

I would highly suggest OB classes....a great time to work with your dog and for them to learn in :busy: situations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Crowned Member

Basic obedience classes would be a good start.

Where in CT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Banned

classes and take your dog everywhere
and do all sorts of things with him.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Knighted Member

A general OB class with other people and dogs is the best way for both of you to gain confidence and do some necessary bonding. Find a good trainer in your area and sign up - classes in basic OB usually run for 8 weeks. Take him around with you and introduce him to new situations. Have a bunch of treats with you to reward or distract. Take it easy at first - don't put him in any place (like a dog park, or crowded Petsmart) where he might feel overwhelmed. If you have a friend with a low key, non-threatening dog, go on walks together - that will show him that other dogs can be friendly and fun. Just remember it takes time and patience, just the way it would with a shy child, to get the result you are looking for. Enjoy your young fellow!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:11 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emCee View Post
So I am not sure if this thread is in the right section, but I was wondering if some one can point me in the right direction of some socialization classes for my dog. I am not sure how old he is the vet said from 5 to 7 months, but was not exactly sure. I have noticed that he is skiddish of people and other dogs and I would like to rid him of this or at least relax him of it. I am from Connecticut if anyone is from the area and knows of something like this.
to the site!!!!

Big help (so you don't have to keep reminding us) is to add your general location to your User CP information. That way it shows up with every one of your posts by your avatar (like my Poconos stuff).

Really dog classes are ideal for you. Divine k-9 this place is great, not sure if too far away though. Bet you could email them for closer suggestions...

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

thank for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page