dog runs away off leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

dog runs away off leash

hey this is one lol iv worn my self down to the point of a shock collar on people tell me to run the other way doesnt work he keeps going people tell me take him in the woods and when he starts to go hide behind tree and scare him doesnt work people say do the leash then long rope thing doesnt work people say use treats doesnt work lol you get my insanity yet but when i chase him down with car he goes in it asap lol

2 year old german shepherd husky 100pounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Knighted Member

Training recall is a must! You have to do it till he gets it and then do it some more. Practice practice practice!! Recall is so very important. Put him on a leash, call his name in a happy voice, when he comes to you treats and happy excited praise! Repeat till he comes every time, and until then do not let him off the leash.

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Crowned Member

If you want to have a healthy dog, do not let him off lead anywhere until his recall is solid in a safe place, ie. fenced yard.

You will be sorry for the rest of his life if he gets smooshed by a car and has a crippling injury. Some things you cannot take back. Keep your dog safe. He is not ready to be off lead yet. He MAY NEVER be ready. But giving him too much freedom, too soon, is a sure way to have a catastrophe.

I train come on lead. I NEVER use come off lead unless I can enforce it, until the dog is solid with the command. I train it with distractions too. If you let the dog win, either by not coming and doing what he wants, or by getting you to chase him which is great fun, then you can develop a long term problem.

Recall is nothing to fool around with because it is a life-skill. So train, train, train off lead.

I see NO reason to add a shock collar to this.

I think you would do better to add very tasty treats in your pocket, roasted chicken, dried hot dogs, steak, cheese, high value treats like pieces of pig's ears. Whenever you tell your dog to come, and he comes praise him and give him and awesome treat. Eventually you can phase out the treats, by giving him one every other time, or for the quickest comes. And then you can phase them out completely.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Crowned Member

you chase him with the car?

Agree with Zisso and Selzer, until you have a solid recall no off leash

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

lol hes fast so i usally end up catching up to him with the car telling him get his butt in car then he comes asap but he wont come with out the car lol

post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

so far iv managed to train him to go from the house to the car from the car to the house lol its my start got to start somewere

post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Crowned Member

I really don't see how some of this is a laughing matter, you are dealing with a life here.

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

iv been dealing with him like this for year everyday is a obsticle coarse with him he ate my moutain dew bottle top off and drank 2 liter dew yesturday while i was gonna last week he got ahold of beer put holes in the side can drank it all the other week he aint the gf panties hes reminds me jerry lee from the movie k9 if i tied him to my mirror hed most likly rip it off come sit next to me with it there arnt usually any cars were i train him at and when he gets out its usually cuz hes slick and slips between us out the door or one the kids leaves door open to long and out he goes down the street at 10 mph firs thot to my mind is mememe roadrunner and hes gonna 3 blocks in the blink of a eye

post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

if i had the money hes be in enrolled in cop training in lansing michigan wear they teach dog all sorts stuff how to go from happy to defence snap of finger how to get them stay go up the ladder down the ladder all sorts stuff that i want him to do

post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

and most the reason hes the way he is cuz hes got husky in him and everybody says husky is stubborn airheaded breed that takes mircle to train and isnt any good inless its pulling sled but i love this little fluffy pain in my butt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page