GS pees when excited or nervous inside house - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

GS pees when excited or nervous inside house

We just got a 4 month old GS tht was kept in a kennal outside. When inside and she gets excited or nevous she crouches down and pees. Also when we take her outside to got "potty" she goes on command maybe 1/10 times. We priase her like crazy and say good potty when she does go and we she goes in the house we tell her bad potty as she's in the act of doing it. She will go outside with our other dogs and go and when we see her doing it, again we praise her alot.

Please help with some suggestions, this is driving us crazy. Our other dogs were trained in a matter of days or at least showing progress. She on the other hand seems to be getting worse. We will let her inside from just being outside and she will go in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Knighted Member

I had a dog like that, we would not say 1 word to him when we came home. We would go in the house go right to the back door & go outside. As soon as he pee'd then we would greet him and make a fuss. After that he was fine, it was just when we came home, he'd be so excited.
Do you go outside with her? I always go out with the dogs this way I know what they did.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Elite Member

This is called "submissive urination" and it is a separate issue from housetraining. It is a pretty common thing with puppies, especially girl puppies. Because it is a natural submissive response, the worst thing you can do is try to correct them for it. The more you scold or physically correct, the worse it will get. Most puppies outgrow this if it is just ignored. Don't make a big deal about greeting her when you come home or let her out of her crate or greet her outside only. Avoid using correctings or gestures (such as leaning over or hard eye contact) which trigger the response. If it does happen, just clean it up without making a big deal out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Master Member

My Nellie did this.... she out grew it. Until she worked her self out we always met visitors outside.

-Jamie-

No matter how bad my day has been.... coming home to them makes it all better.

My Kids:
Nellie -3 yr old GSD & Ace -2 yr old GSD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 04:09 PM

This post is very interesting. We have a GSD from the rescue, she is almost 2 years old. Spent most her life either being strapped down (hip replacement, 3 months) in the rescue or pound. We may be experiencing the same issue.

She turned out to be a fence jumper with aggression so we had to kennel her for about 6 weeks. The kennel is attaches to a laundry/utility room (5'x5') and the kennel is 5'x12'.

When we would return home from work, I would go into the laundry room, spend about 5 minutes sitting there (no touch no eye contact) until she calmed down. After that point I would let her into the house and into the yard.

Well one time my wife walked straight to the laundry room and let her out immediately and there were pee drops all over the kitchen.

She likes one of my neighbors alot. This neighbor, Andrea, rescued her 3 times when she jumped over our fence on different occasions. I once saw Andrea while walking the dog. We ran over to say hello. Her tail was spinning like a propellar and of course rivulets of pee all over the street.

My 2 cents. Try making sure that she is very calm before allowing her in the house.

BTW fence has been modded and no more kennel, thank the lord, buddha, allah, etc.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Sheba did this when I first brought her home from Florida, she was just as bad when in my dad's care and we went to visit. You litterally had to follow her around with a towel. Once home with me it seemed to subside, I would take her out prior to greeting her, just walked into the house let her out in the yard before I ever said a word to her.

For visitors I asked them to have her sit prior to greeting her, it seemed if she was sitting first she was less likely to potty.

Sheba has a dribble here and there at home and only makes puddles for one person at work lol and we joke about it. Give it time she will outgorw this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:33 AM

Baron still does this on occasion. Not so much when greeting because I won't greet him until he goes so he is on empty, but when I tell him to sit. Anyone else can tell him to sit and he does with no problem. He has gotten much better so they do outgrow it.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page