Teaching "Come" Command - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Teaching "Come" Command

Bella is now 18 weeks old. We've had her for two weeks. We have four acres that are not fenced. She is an outside dog and we keep her in a large dog kennel when we are not home are unable to supervise her. She has done great on a long leash with simple commands such as sit and to "go crate" on command. She started out doing really well with the "come" command at first................but I've been braver and I have dropped the leash, but kept it on her, because she usually stays so close to me. Well twice this week she has darted off, really without giving me any warning into our thick, thick woods on the side of our house chasing a squirrel. I call her and she is just more interested in getting that squirrel. She always comes back, but on her terms, not necessarily because I'm calling her. What should I do?

I guess just more practice with hot dogs and playing the "come" game. I'm open to any advice other may have!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Crowned Member

Here is a recent thread on it, you can also use the search box above and type in a key word or phrase to find threads on subjects.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...listening.html
You haven't had your pup long enough to expect her to come and she is waaaay too young to be expected to. Do you do any formal training yet with her? If she has free run of your land other than her kennel time, she will get into trouble or hurt. GSD's are not the best breed for an outside dog, they want to be with their pack and are wonderful in the house with proper structure and training. Maybe think about bringing her inside with you instead of kenneling her?
I would get into a group obedience class so you can work on your bond as well as the training aspect. Good luck with your new girl and welcome to the site!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page