Odedience Training Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Odedience Training Questions

Brutus is a little over five months now and it seems about time I start with the obedience classes. Ive never attended any and have a few questions for those of you who have.

How often should class be held for my dog to get the most out of it?

Brutus is already well socialized and doesn't exhibit any menacing behavior or aggression toward any other people or dogs. We go to the park and on long walks daily. Am I better off in group sessions, or private?

I've found a few different ones I'm considering and they all seem to fluctuate a lot as far as price goes. What can I expect as for pricing, or more so, whats the norm for pricing?

And what do you guys think of these guys: dog trainer, Blazing Trails K9 Academy Lancaster, CA Home ?

Do they seem to be missing anything as far as curriculum or anything else?

Anyone out there from my area (the greater Los Angeles area) know of any good classes they can recommend?

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated from both me and Brutus. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:13 PM

most classes are once a week.

I would do group sessions, only because it's great to work with distractions and the socialization aspect of it.

I pay 150 for 8 weeks,,

I looked at the website, the girl sounds pretty experienced and hey has GSD's !!

I didn't really see what 'type' of training they do,,is it all positive? compulsive?

Sorry not from your area, but just my opinions)

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:49 PM

I would really like to go through a training class to learn some things myself, the closest club is 7 hours from where I live, and the nearest pet smart is 3 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Crowned Member

I go once a week.

I pay 65-75$ for a six week session. California pricing and NE Ohio pricing could be very different.

My trainer is a obedience/Rally Judge, Performs AKC CGC testing, and the TDI testing, Her breed is Leonbergers, but she has a GSD as well and has much experience with many different breeds.

And her students are out there competing and winning with their dogs, as well as having fun.

Lastly, she is progressive, in that she is all about praise and treats, but she also is not afraid to suggest various training aids like prong collars and the like. And she respects my wishes not to use them. She stays up to date with training techniques and offers articles and such that she has availability to that address issues, etc.

I prefer group sessions.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 AM

Why don't you look for a local schutzhund or agility or herding club. They tend to be cheaper and they tend to train muti days during the week and most have lots of experience with GS.s. All will do obedience even if your dog is not cut out for biting (if you do schutzhund) This sport is for GS's
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 12:08 PM

Hey you guys and gals. I know this is about a month old forum but had to say I found a trainer almost in my backyard with my years of experience. Check out her website it will amaze you! Its about time I was going crazy looking for a good trainer for my onyx!

Jan
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
-- Mark Twain
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 12:24 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxboy View Post
Hey you guys and gals. I know this is about a month old forum but had to say I found a trainer almost in my backyard with my years of experience. Check out her website it will amaze you! Its about time I was going crazy looking for a good trainer for my onyx!
oops forgot the website

Wendy Jeffries Website

Jan
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
-- Mark Twain
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:54 PM

We are taking our 5 month old pups to Cadence Kennels in Ontario, CA - We are paying $95 for a 10 session/ 9 week basic obedience course that are about 1.5-2 hrs long. Private lessons that are 1.5 hrs long for 2 dogs are $60 =) And I say that with a SMILE, because even after 1 lesson we learned so much and I see a huge difference in our pups after they started class! Our pups are going to be amazing after just the basic course! I'm so glad we didn't pay $109 at Petsmart!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Knighted Member

I have always started my puppies after all shots, about 12 wks old. Lakota is 5 months now and it feels like we've been going to school for so long. My trainer charges $15 or 10 sessions for $100. She will put you in a group that you fit into or she has drop in classes. The group I am in now is great, all the pups are about the same age & the people are into training more than just basic obedience. A class is usually at least 1-1/2 hours, sometimes a little longer. My trainer also loves GSD's, she has 2 herself.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25

Last edited by kiya; 06-22-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: more info
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:07 PM

Wow, those price are really good! I checked here (Quebec, Canada) for a group course for Hawkeye for 8 weeks and it's $300.00. Plus the guy said what he normally recommends is an 8week private + 8week group course for $450.00. But I think he prices a so high because there's no one around giving courses the closes for me would be Ottawa, Ontario and it's about 1 1/2 hours away.

Hawkeye (GSD):March 5/10
Chelsea (Boxer):April 21/08
Austin (ShihTzu):August 2/02
At Bridge: Callie(Bichon),Jackson(Boxer),Mickey(Spaniel),Keis ha(GSD),Stryker(Boxer),Fay(Terrier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page