Training Imlications of Dichromatic Vision in Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Sharbel Send a message via Skype™ to Sharbel
Smile Training Implications of Dichromatic Vision in Dogs

Contrary to what many of us believe dogs are neither colour blind nor do they see all the colour spectrum that we are capable to see. The dog only distinguishes two ranges of the colour spectrum that is the variations of yellow and of blue whereas they can not see the range of green and red on the colour spectrum.

Also colour acuteness is different. Although they can sense movement amd motion as well as scent much faster and acutely than humans do they can not see that far. They can see an obstacle we see at 80 feet only from a distance of 20 feet.

A good article with some indications of what dogs see in colours is found in the following link How to Tell What Your Dog Sees | eHow.com

This also explains training difficulties due to the fact that dogs do not see what we see the same way. For example you may ask the dog to go through a red tunnel that is placed on green grass. To us red is a brilliant colour as well as green is. To the dog both are yellowish and may not easily tell the tunnel.

I was inpressed by this issue and started looking into it whwn I realizewd that Richie was showing preference to yellow and blue coloured rather han to red or green balls.

It will be interesting to hear from you and how this dichromatic vision in dogs affected your attempts to train your companions.

A real friend is the one that reaches for your hand and touches your heart...

Last edited by Sharbel; 05-16-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:31 AM

What a great question!! I knew dogs had dichromatic vision, but I never really THOUGHT about it before. It explains why the bag of red tennis balls that I bought because I thought they would be easier to see & find in the grass, disappeared faster than the yellow ones.
I don't do agility training or anything like that, but it will affect what color toys I buy him from now on
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Very interesting! I know when I'm picking out toys I like a variety of colors so I can differentiate but never thought about the dog being able to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Sharbel Send a message via Skype™ to Sharbel
Definitely the realization that dogs can distinguish yellow and blue colors but not red and green has implications in choosing the colors of the toys for our dogs as well as affect and the way we treat them during exercise .

I could see the cat from a distance of 100 feet and I was wondering why he was not reacting. Given that there is no movement from the cat the dog will see him when is as far as 20 feet. This to you means changing promptly direction so you avoid the contact of the two and pulling on the leash.

The same goes when meeting dogs. We see them much earlier. We do not sense their presence beyond our vision range as dogs do but if there is no motion we have an advantage and thus an early warning to change course and direction if we do not want them to meet.

It would be interesting to hear from more people here on this issue.

A real friend is the one that reaches for your hand and touches your heart...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
The other day I was working on stays with Tessa and a tennis ball. I hold the ball up, get her attention, tell her to stay, throw the ball, and she has to wait until released to go get it. Most of the time I don't throw it too far because the harder I throw it the harder it seems to be for her to maintain self control and wait Anyway, after one throw she couldn't seem to find it. She kept searching back and forth in the grass but was probably 15 feet short of where it landed. I wondered about it and was a little concerned about her eyesight... But now I'm thinking its not a big deal and she just didn't see where it landed so didn't know where to start looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page