Teaching him not to raid the kitchen. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Teaching him not to raid the kitchen.

Every time we are out of the house he will raid the kitchen and eat whatever breads or crackers he can find. Fences dont work and i was wondering about any other techniques we can use before we resort to crate training. his dog door is in the kitchen so we cant really just cut it off from him with fences also.

also i was wondering if the cracker and bread choices he makes a relevant. his dog treats and food were just as easy targets and yet he has never touched them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

This is what crates are for. IMO. Crates are not a last resort, they are my dogs' safe refuge. They go to their crates when they take a nap. And I know when I'm away that they aren't getting into anything they shouldn't.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Crowned Member

I don't leave anything down in the kitchen that can be gotten by the dogs.

Dogs are by nature scavengers. It is very difficult to fight mother nature. In a dog pack, if a dog gets up and leaves its meal or bone, it is a social signal that it is free for the taking. When you leave food about, the dog may see this as available.

I had a dog who would not look at any food that was around as long as we were with her. She understood not to take it in our presence. But, if left to her own devices she would have a party fast as a wink.

We would have had to do something aversive to her to attempt to give her a negative view of getting on the cabinet or in the refrigerator. I doubt scare or punishment techniques would have worked with her for very long and I never tried them.

She had to be confined to a safe place when we were gone. Some dogs are not so prone to raid or can be dissuaded. But, when they are successful in your absence, they get rewarded for the behavior and some are more persistent than others.

Management can go a long way. What about putting the food away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

Put the food in the pantry? Or the dog in a crate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Crowned Member

My Aussie loved bread - I could never put out bread crumbs for the birds - because "big dog bird" ate them. The chips - probably for the salt. I'm guessing he can get into the lower cupboards and maybe even reach the counter to do his raids. Since you have the dog door in the kitchen and don't want to crate the dog, you can try cupboard locks that are used for toddlers or it would be easier to move the food he likes out of reach and put it in the top cupboards or in tins in a closet. Also - try giving him a kong with treats (mix in some bread and chips with his dog kibble and dog treats) when you leave him alone - that along with removing 'temptation" may stave off his raids.

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Banned

crate him. put all food away, doh!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koal View Post
Every time we are out of the house he will raid the kitchen and eat whatever breads or crackers he can find. Fences dont work and i was wondering about any other techniques we can use before we resort to crate training. his dog door is in the kitchen so we cant really just cut it off from him with fences also.

also i was wondering if the cracker and bread choices he makes a relevant. his dog treats and food were just as easy targets and yet he has never touched them.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Elite Member

Well, we had 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks (one after the other) and both were kitchen and especially kitchen garbage can addicts. Both were named "Bob" and the last one (god rest his sweet soul) was sometimes called "loaf of bread Bob"! Both were very well behaved dogs except for that. We tried "NO", even cayenne pepper sprinkled over the garbage... nothing worked. I had trained both dogs to use an invisible fence on the perimeter of the yard, but I did not know that there were "pods" you could get that effect (I think) about a 10 ft. area. We got a pod, put it in the kitchen and no more garbage boy!!! He never ever went in the kitchen after that. I'll likely do the same if I have problems with Max, my GSD. It made for almost complete harmony in the house.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 08:32 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Crates are the best!

TeMar German Shepherd Dogs - FYI Crate Training your dog

American Dog Trainers Network -- How To Successfully Crate Train Your Puppy

House Breaking Your German Shepherd Puppy

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Elite Member

A crate is great, absolutely no question about that. However, if you are already on a good track with invisible fence, why not include the kitchen? It reduced the stress about this issue to zero and everyone involved was much happier.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Master Member

Just keep everything out of reach and counters clear until the dog tries enough and finds nothing and stops doing it.

As long as there is a reward there and he thinks it's available he will want to do it, if he experiences no reward for it enough times he will give up the habit.

Behavior that is rewarded increases over time, behavior without any reward decreases over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page