Spouce not on the same training page - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Spouce not on the same training page

I have been doing a lot of reading on training and really want my new pup to be well socialized and obeidient. My husband doesn't take the training part as serious as I do. He will play with them, I do everything else. Last night we were in the yard and he calls out "Lakoda come" and repeated it a few times. I told him not to call her to "come" (because it is not totally learned yet) he got all annoyed with me and went in to the house. In my eyes its the same as repeating sit, sit, sit. The command should only be given once, but it has to be learned first. Am I just realling getting obsessive with her training, do you think the end result be that she will listen to me when I give her a command regardless of how many times anyone else "barks" out commands to her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Knighted Member

Welcome to my world.

To make matters worse, when I was training Dakota for a dumb-bell retrieve my husband would play the "chace the dog to get the ball game". I had to hide the dumb-bells so he would not play that game with them. Now when I try and play fetch with her she will return with the ball, stop, and run. We hardly play fetch anymore because I refuse to chace her.

The repeating of the commands tick me off too. He's moved from Dakota, come, come, come, to DAKOTA GET OVER HERE. Yup that makes her want to come. He does not buy into my argurement that you never issue a come command unless you are in a position to enforce it - and you need to work on commands in all different siturations.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Crowned Member

My DH is more of the play guy too...but he's sat in a few of our training classes and even though he gets half of the commands' names wrong, he usually looks to me to make sure he's doing it right...or I'll just be like "Oh honey, we're using 'down' instead of 'lay' for that," and he'll change up.

But he has learned to make Anna sit before he throws her toy or before we go out the door...I think it makes him feel good to do those little things...after I did the work to train her!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Crowned Member

It does prove difficult when the significant other in the house doesn't take training seriously, but feels the dog should respond at their first command. And when the dog doesn't, they look at you and say, "...and you paid all that money for training, and he didn't learn a thing?"

Your dog will figure it out. It'll just take longer for him to get it. If hubby and I are out in the fields with Hondo, hubby can say, "Hondo! Get over here!" and Hondo totally ignores him. I don't say a word. I give it a minute or two then I'll say, "Hondo, Here!" And as Hondo runs towards me, I'll stop and say, "Puppy! Puppy! Puppy! Good Boy!" It is all in the tone - as well as using only one word. At least for Hondo it is. I don't say anything to Hubby, but the next time he calls Hondo, he'll change his tone and Hondo will come bounding. But I don't correct Hubby - as then I have to listen to the, " in my days, when you trained a dog.." I just let hubby learn by trial and error. And be more patient with Hondo.

Just like our dogs, we have to train our significant others. I suppose you can use your treat of choice.

Last edited by Lilie; 05-05-2010 at 03:11 PM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Crowned Member

I say

"Get away from my dog!"

Not really...

when you find a solution that doesn't end in divorce, please let me know.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 03:15 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I'd be thrilled if the problem was merely that he was not on the same page regarding training. Most of the time he's not even on the same planet!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

My Ex and I were on the exact same page. If he taught Sinister a new trick or command he showed me exactly how to do it. When I taught Sinister how to do something I made sure to go over it with my Ex the same way.

Example: I taught Sinister to sit by the door and wait for me to go outside first and then when I say "OK" he can come out.

I taught my Ex that and now if either one of us goes outside we make Sinister sit and wait while we go outside first.

Same thing when we go to feed him. We set his dish down and make him sit and then give the "OK" or snap our fingers to release him so he can eat.

It's so much easier to do the training when your on the same page but sometimes boys will be boys

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:25 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

For some reason the vast majority of men (and I apologize to the few of you who don't fit this ) feel they were born with the innate knowledge to train any dog, anything. So the idea of going to a class, listening to anyone else, reading a book/DVD is just completely ridiculous and a huge waste of time. They already know it all. Really!

In all the years and all the different dog classes/seminars, it's almost always females that are there to listen, learn and do the best with their dogs. Learning new things, new ways, and changing what they THINK they knew if they have to.

I personally wouldn't fight your husband on what he 'knows' at all. Interesting thing is the dogs figure it out. Same as they don't necessarily obey a stranger in the street, they learn to ignore the husbands (unless something is in it for them) or obey them some of the time cause, why not?

While the wives go to class and really get the special bond and relationship that real dog training can give us. And the dogs do just fine. No surprise, the guys eventually pick up some of the learning cause they CAN watch and learn too! (but probably not admit they were wrong )

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Elite Member

As a man... sorry, but I was born that way... ...I actually have the exact same problem, but with my wife. So there! I empathize because consistency is so important. I feel like I'm training two students, but the human is the more difficult one.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:45 PM

My husband and I weren't on the same page either when it came to training. Luckily I'm not working so I get to spend the most time with Koa. A few months after doing it my way my the hubby realized how Koa responded to me and not him. He never said I was right, I just noticed him doing what I do and giving the same commands. Hang in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page