Here Kitty, Kitty... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Here Kitty, Kitty...

Hondo will be 8 months old on 05/13/10. We have completed our first OB class and he was wonderful! We are taking a month off, and then going on with the second leg of OB. I work him every day - either in the house or during our walks. I maintain a healthy balance of work & play. I can honestly say that I am so very impressed with him that it makes the work exciting.

While we are outside off leash (on our own property) I can call him "Here" and he'll come to me, 100% of the time. I can tell him "Come" and he'll come to me and sit in front of me, 100% of the time. I can tell him "Leave it" and he'll drop what he has, or walk away from what he is doing, 100% of the time. However, when it comes to our two barn (outside) cats he is a blithering idiot. He loses his head and doesn't mind me at all. His prey drive takes over and the chase is on. So far, if the cats stop to fight, he just stands within a safe distance and barks.

I thought about putting the long line on him and working him with the cats. This way I'll have control of him - but would this be counter productive as this is what we are going to work on during the second leg of OB?

I can't think of any other way to work him on the cats, with out actually volunteering the help of the cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Elite Member

Same here I have 5 kitty and Bella Annoys the crap out of them. If they jus sit there she will bark till they run so she can chase them and almost caught Chance by his butt when he went up a tree. I had to chase her and put her in her kennel. she will not lisen when she gets that way. But will ignore them in the house. I am gunna try a flirt pole with her to see if that will take the edge off wanting to chase something. I will alos stick around to see what else is recominded ill try anyting to get her to ignore them completly

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Crowned Member

Oh boy, Hondo and the barn cats - what fun to read - I just enjoy your posts so much - I can just see him taking off and the cats running. Seriously, poor Hondo has to learn. Sting was like that, but alas no barn cats, anything else -geese, rabbits, squirrels, deer, the neighbor's Maltese - any live winged or 4-legged creature that was running - even blocks away was fair game for him. If he was in the fenced-in back yard he take off charging the fence ignoring my feeble "come" when something went running down the alley. Here's what I did with Sting. Now, it can't be used in the obedience ring, but the e-collar with proper training (that uses the dog's prey drive) will teach Hondo that it is more fun to stay with you because you satisfy his prey drive. I got the e-collar with the tone feature. So, first time - with e-collar on, I headed out into the back yard (best to learn in "safe areas" first) during a time when the neighbors were out and about. I started with the sit - fine he sat - then stay - then come - he took off in the opposite direction - I hit the tone - big deal - I went to the shock - he stopped like the ground had given away - that's when I went into my act "wonderful Sting - let's go, good boy" all sweetness and light - he came back to me I praised and rewarded. The ideas was to teach Sting that he couldn't go off hunting alone. Someone told me that is the way hunting dogs are trained. The next time - he corrected himself at the tone. Then - at the end of the evening practice - reward time - tug - I kept his collar on him (just so he could associate it with his favorite game) - he bit down on the tug - I pulled - he pulled - (I use 2 tugs to throw one) - I got one tug - he got both - he won. He probably carried his "prey" up to the house and was given a reward when he gave them to me. Fast forward - now I don't need to use the collar in the back yard - he pays attention to me. I do put it on him for his off leash walks - but I rarely have to use it. Deer are still be big No (it's where they run off to the highway close by that is the danger) but he looks back for permission before he flushes a pheasant or chases after a rabbit. This might work with Hondo and then the barn cats will have to find another dog to tease!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Sounds like great advice! Hondo really is such a good boy, until the sees the cats. And you can't really blame him if you saw those little devils. When he is in the back yard they'll come up to the chain link and rub agaisnt it. Just drives him crazy.

We had some friends over this weekend. One of the ladies just isn't a dog person, so I had Hondo in the back yard. At one point we were all sitting on the porch and this friend was loving on one of the cats - as well as one can love on a feral-like cat - and Hondo saw - so he made this screamy whoar thing that he does so well and pounced on the fence. This friend flew from her seat, over a cooler and was nearly in the bed of her truck before she realized Hondo was still fenced. Of course I apologized....after I caught my breath from laughing so hard.....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Reckon I should look into the e-collar. Sometimes I think I spend half my time yelling "NO KITTY!"

Shiloh sounds just like Hondo - good obediance except for that prey drive....

Mom of Shiloh, 4/17/09

GO SAINTS!!!
for those who don't know, NOLA = New Orleans, LA
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It seems the older he gets the stronger is prey drive becomes. I didn't see that one coming.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Elite Member

What Kind Of ECollar do you use that has the Tone?

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Crowned Member

Folks, I went through all last year (though Lilie, your latest cat story takes the prize) - the peak of his prey drive was when new neighbors moved in with new dogs. I had to get e-collar when he took off (big dog - sitting obediently on the sit/stay then wham - cut across 2 blocks because there was a loose lab )- I caught up to see the man throw his dog in the pickup and jump in himself with my dog jumping on the driver's door. I came to the man all apologizes- boy was he nice, just said "well, I've just never sure if a German Shepherd is friendly - we've all been there (meaning with these bolting dogs)". Of course - I swore a blue streak at my pentient dog the two blocks home. My main worry was that it only takes one car to kill him and he sure didn't look both ways before he bolted. Okay - the e-collar I use is the Dogtrac Plantium (I got mine from Leerburg.com) and I was sure to order the extra long prongs for his thick coat. This e-collar has a 1/2 mile radius, waterproof, digital display, tone. Best money I've every spent. It has made a world of difference - but again only if used properly with the "training program" so that the dog doesn't connect you with the shock and learns that "hunting with you" is fun - "hunting alone" can be painful. Also - the dog needs an outlet for his prey drive - he can't (we hope) catch the rabbit or cat but he can catch and bite down on the tugs - that fulfills his prey drive and you are one doing it by playing with him. Also - I had to learn to get involved with his walks. I walk him out in a park/dam area - okay - so he starts to "read the news" as one man said when they sniff - I say "what a great tracker you are"! He looks back for my okay to flush the pheasant - I say when he comes back "What a great hunter" - that way our walks enforce the "group hunting mood". My dog is excited when I get out the e-collar because he knows it is walk time . It is interesting that unlike some of the posts I've read where the dog runs away when the head collar or harness is got out. Just thought I'd mention that so you can feel good about using the e-collar.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM

I just adopted an 11 month old GS from our local dumb friends league here in Denver 2 days ago. So far, he is a fantastic dog. He is crate trained, understands sit, and learned in two nights that I take him for a walk....not the other way around. My problem is I have four indoor cats as well, and I need to get him used to the cats before October rolls around, when it starts to get cold and I can't leave him ourside all day. Right now, he is outside in the back yard, and the cats can see him. They look at each other through the back patio door. My next step was to open the patio door and keep the screen door closed, so they can start to smell each other under supervision. Then would hope to bring him in the house on a leash so they can be in the same room together. However, how will i get him to just ignore, or play lightly with the cats? My in law's brought their two pugs over to meet their cousin yesterday, and Jasper (my German) kept climbing on top of our trying to jump on the pugs.
Anyone have a recommendation?

THANK YOU!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

In October, you still may be able to keep Jasper outside while you're at work during the day, providing he has shelter. South Dakota gets cold too, but GSDs have that lovely double coat. I also leave out a heated water bowl. Unless it's below zero or a strong wind chill or blizzard, Jasper would probably enjoy being out, my Sting does. For the cats, you haven't said if they are used to dogs. If they are, that's half the battle. You also don't know if Jasper was used to cats. The next step as you said, is to bring him inside - yes on the leash. Don't expect them to play together, don't expect Jasper to ignore them. Expect the cats to tease. So, you bring Jasper in on the leash - introduce him to the cats. I know this sounds strange, but you will be showing Jasper that you know the cats are there and that they are yours. Say "Jasper this (first cat's name), then to the cat say "(cat's name) this is Jasper" and so on with all 4 cats. That's it. If Jasper makes a lunge for the cat, you stop him with the leash. You pick the cat up - so she is above Jasper. You say in a possessive tone "Mine". Then you pick up Jasper's toy (I hope he has one - like those soft bears with the squeaker) - hug the toy a bit to show it is a delightful toy then say in a gentle tone "This is your's" and give it to him so that he takes it in his mouth. Keep Jasper tethered to you on his leash. Sit down and have him on the down. If the cat jumps on your lap, and Jasper decides to push the cat off, you just turn away from Jasper and turn the cat's head away. Hold that pose - don't say anything - by the count of 10, Jasper will have decided to take a nap. When you can't watch Jasper, put him in his crate. At night, he should sleep in his crate. For the cats, it is very important that they have their litter box, food dishes, and water dishes out of Jasper's reach. You may need to get one of those dog barrier gates that have an opening for the cats so you can block off a room for the cats. This was a great solution for friends of mine who have 2 Dobes. They got theirs from Drs. Foster & Smith. You may be lucky if you have a basement, my Sting doesn't like to go down the basement steps. So the basement is the cat's domain. Jasper is big young dog, full of energy with a high prey drive. Cats love to tease. So you need to be very careful. It's going to take time - I wouldn't allow Jasper alone in the house loose with the cats (because he could corner one) until he is to the point where he doesn't need the leash. You will need to progress gradually to where he is just dragging the leash, then finally off leash under your supervision. Be sure to give the cats priority so that Jasper can see that they are above him on the pecking order. This means to feed the cats first, pet them first, and so on. You can find helpful tips at the Leerburg.com site. Good Luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page