Brutus Needs a Job - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Brutus Needs a Job

Brutus is my first GSD. Hes 18 weeks old and there is a lot Ive been learning these past few months. Hes developing extremely well physically and socially. Hes obedient, intelligent, and very loving. I want to "give him a job."

Where and how do I start?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

Isn't being cute enough work??? lol.

You could start working on teaching his to pick things up for you. Carry things. Pull things. Just teaching him to interact with items like that will take a while, and he is young so start with other things.

Some jobs aren't really jobs.... there is no useful purpose to us, but he will feel useful. Playing hide and seek is a great game to make his nose work, So is tracking.... even if its just finding a trail of kibble throughout the house or yard. Does your pup like to tug? Maybe get a little red wagon, tie on a rope and have him wheel around you little girl baby dolls. lol, or a small pile of leaves.....

GSD Jobs don't have to be real jobs, all that matters is that they think that they are working/playing/pleasing you.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 PM

Have you started classes? Obedience/Rally/Agility classes will all give you things to work on daily with your puppy and goals that can end in titles and rewards. And while not necesarily important in and of themselves it's always nice to have something to show for all your hard work.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

I haven't started any classes with him yet. I'm having trouble finding something local. There's a free one at a park that meets once a month, but its pretty bogus and is mostly a lot of chaos. Its starting to look like I may have to commute to LA to find something. Id love to do some rally classes but those seem to be even further than just basic obedience classes. Anyway, we'll get in a class sooner or later, just hopefully sooner than later.

I have a pretty big yard and spend a lot of time out there maintaining it. Brutus follows me wherever I'm working and I'm thinking a little red wagon might just be a good and useful job for him. He loves playing tug, so I think I'm going to start there. Thanks for the useful advice thus far, and keep it coming please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page