My GSD is always pulling on the leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

My GSD is always pulling on the leash

HI Everybody,
I seem to have trouble with my GSD pulling on the leash while walking him.It seems when I am teaching him in an area with pavement he actually listens once we head for the street where there is grass on the sides he goes nuts and has to sniff everything in site poles ,Hydrants, dried dog urine.etc.He pulls with such strength even my long departed Huskies couldn't compare I had used Halti's,Cesar's illusion device,with no rewards and sadly the Sprenger prong collar which so far is the best tool .Am I going to far with the prong collar.Open to suggestion to correct this problem.HELP

Last edited by Panzercanuck; 04-27-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Most of us end up with some kind of training collar.

But I've found whichever one I go with, the even more important part are the dog classes. That way I have the RIGHT leash, the RIGHT collar (fitted properly), and use it properly with the best timing for corrections AND praise (and what is a correction and what is praise to my dog...)

DOG CLASSES ROCK! It was amazing how much smarter my dog got after we started attending!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Banned

how old is your dog?

do you work with him everyday?

do you need a trainer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Master Member

One way to curb pulling is to give a sharp correction (both hands, one on top of the other, imagine doing a quick bicep curl with your hands together and the leash inside) when the dog puts tension on the leash, and walk in the other direction, praise the dog a bit for coming with you. If he goes past you and hits the end of the leash, another good 2-hand pop and turn around, get him to come with you. It's not necessary to say "no" or anything else when giving the correction, that just ads tension.

It's simply connecting pulling/tension with a correction, and the walking part will help remind the dog to stay with you and not blast past you, and will make more sense to the dog (possibly, anyway-- the dog might associate the correction with ignoring your location and pulling against you as you move away; rather than just you standing there giving corrections when he puts tension on the leash. With walking, at least there is a point to getting him not to pull.) If you try it consistently for 5-10 minutes I bet you will see a dog that avoids pulling on the leash.

You may not need a prong collar, a regular "choker" collar would also work and the corrections would be less severe, but still quite unpleasant. Still a prong collar correction can ramp up a dog more than a choker collar can. If you don't have a choker collar handy, you could try turning the prong collar inside out.

Proud papa of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP Dana.

Last edited by Ucdcrush; 04-27-2010 at 09:59 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Mac

i used "the stand like a tree" approach today as my gsd just wasn't getting the opposite direction method. he seemed to enjoy the change of direction, like it was a game. the tree method seemed to work well and i wasnt using a clicker or treats..though i may try that tomorrow to accelerate the training. i stopped at the slightest pressure on the lease, and would praise him when he would finally turn and look at me and take a step back towards me.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzercanuck View Post
HI Everybody,
I seem to have trouble with my GSD pulling on the leash while walking him.It seems when I am teaching him in an area with pavement he actually listens once we head for the street where there is grass on the sides he goes nuts and has to sniff everything in site poles ,Hydrants, dried dog urine.etc.He pulls with such strength even my long departed Huskies couldn't compare I had used Halti's,Cesar's illusion device,with no rewards and sadly the Sprenger prong collar which so far is the best tool .Am I going to far with the prong collar.Open to suggestion to correct this problem.HELP
Did you see us walking? LOL This is the absolute duplicate of me & Frenzi.

She's much better on pavement, but the grass holds SO much of interest for her.

Walking had pretty much gotten so obnoxious I didn't look forward to it at all. She's now 90% better and here's what I did to fix it. I did not want to use a prong collar. I use all three every day so she didn't get it in her head that she only have to behave when one was on her.

1. Tool one is the Sensation Harness. The leash hooks in the front so if the furry little truck wants to pull she ends up spinning around to look at me. This really did stop any lunging because she quickly realized and understood the consequence. I liked it because I didn't really have to give her any harsh correction. Any too severe action on HER part simply spun her around to face me.

2. Tool two is a Sprenger fur saver choke. I do give her corrections with this collar when necessary.

3. Regular flat collar. This is the collar she wears all the time and I will use this only with just a leash for the night walk, mostly to assess progress I've made. My "correction" using this collar is to simply stop and stand still if she exerts pressure on the leash (pulls it taut). I then bring her back to a sitting position and we start all over.

Generally, I have more trouble with her on grass so I usually use the Sensation harness or Sprenger choke collar. I will use the Sprenger and flat collar when walking in the subdivision.

I think the biggest improvement has come from ad nauseam repetition of reversing direction when she pulls, turning her around to a sit position and restarting, and practicing directional walking (walking a large square or rec tangle with sharp corners).

We practice 2-3x daily for 15 minutes up to an hour, if it's a big walk.

Last edited by tatiana; 04-28-2010 at 01:17 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 PM

I don't know if this was mentioned and it might not be the most favorable method, but I have had tremendous!!!! success with the Dogtra E-collar. Being that I trained my boy with the previous methods listed, it was so easy when I got the e-collar. And, no...I'm not "nicking" my dog to submission...I'm using the paging system in addition to the leash control (with subtle tugs). It was a Godsend.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everybody for your information already it has helped me a considerable amount.

I will also try the sensations harness.

Blitz & Panzercanuck
Montreal,Canada
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Crowned Member

I'm a little confused. Are you speaking of your dog pulling when you are in the 'heel' position, or are you allowing your dog to walk to the end of the leash and you are following your dog?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 PM

PANZ.... Stop changing equipment and stick with one collar long enough and learn to use it to solve the problem. You could hire a pro trainer for an hour or two to show you just how to use the prong properly with out feeling guilty that your going to hurt your dog with a correction. It would be well worth your money. I "read between the lines" from your original post that you think your going to hurt your dog by making a ncessary correction that would teach your dog to stop pulling. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Most any experienced trainer can get most stuborn pullers to walk calmly on lead in 30 to 45 mintues or less.

Just had an idea. There are many tricks to the trade depending on what collar your using and I would be willing to share my experiences with you in a phone consultation if you want to call me. I'm at home recovering from hand surgery, very bored, can't train for a few more weeks. If you will E-mail me we can arange a time to call me, if you would like. I am sure I can help you understand how and what to do in a short chat. Would at least love to try anyway. IT's FREE.
[email protected]

Training isn't expensive.... IT'S PRICELESS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page