Update on prong collar training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Update on prong collar training

The Prong collar is a-m-a-z-i-n-g!

My walks with Drake are 100pct better and satisfying! I had my doubts about the prong collar. But, since we have been to a couple training classes using it...his response to it is great.

He no longer pulls me on walks, walks towards a house with barking dogs, stops to check out a biker or jogger.

This morning there was a rabbit about 15 ft from us. We started walking past it and Drake growled at it. I said "Heel, and gave a jerk with the leash. He just looked forward and continued walking.

I know prong collars are not for every dog but Drake was a dog that needed it! I never in a million years thought I'd be a person to use one but now I am extremely happy we gave it a try.

I love taking Drake for walks now. Yay!

Yes, he is still a happy loving dog after using it.

Jillian

Drake-1 year old GSD- Birthday December 6th

Add Drake @ Dogster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Update on prong collar training

That is great to know, have been considering one perhaps too, but I am still not sure.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Master Member

I hear you on that one!!! I LOVE the prong collar and I started using it on my 2 Cairn Terriers as well and I can walk all 3 pleasantly now without getting tangled up in the leashes and my 2 sled (Cairns) pulling. I still have people telling me how horrible they are, they hurt the dog BLAH BLAH BLAH but through my own experience, knowledge and research I know better.

I would never not use a prong collar.

Jess
Dozer (9/23/08-GSD),
Scooter (12/26/03- Cairn Terrier)
Sadie (7/24/2004- Carin Terrier)
Mylo (6/99 Maine Coon Kitty)
Ally (8/12/99 Ragdoll Mix Kitty)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DozerI hear you on that one!!! I LOVE the prong collar and I started using it on my 2 Cairn Terriers as well and I can walk all 3 pleasantly now without getting tangled up in the leashes and my 2 sled (Cairns) pulling. I still have people telling me how horrible they are, they hurt the dog BLAH BLAH BLAH but through my own experience, knowledge and research I know better.

I would never not use a prong collar.
My trainer actually says prong collar is more humane then a choke collar which could damage their trachea (neck) area if yanked too hard with corrections.

The prong is made to be tighter it shouldn't slip or twist around the neck. It has to sit higher up then his other collar.

When I was purchasing it the cashier guy just lectured about how he doesn't approve of the prong collar, yadda, yadda. That he works at a shelter some days.

I just rolled my eyes and left. I listened to our trainer and it is working excellent!

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 AM

Schotzi...

Sounds like my dog too. I was very skeptical of the prong collar, I guess the way it looked initally turned me off.

But he has totally changed on his walks. No barking at other barking dogs as we walk by their home. He'll heel by my side when greeting new people on the walk. Even my sig. other is surprised on how well he walks with her.

John Denver-4-19-08
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Crowned Member

For people reading and considering, there ARE other ways to get this type of response from puppies using motivational methods. Not saying you shouldn't use a prong (though I AM bordering on saying that at 5 months ) but you can use clickers, relationship based, and other methods.

I don't have the clicker stuff down, but where I have taken puppies or young dogs, we use food or toy lures and making ourselves more interesting than the thing the puppy is distracted by. It's more work for sure but after putting my first dog through more compulsive methods, I like trying to go as positive as possible for as long as possible. So the dog learns and is able to do those behaviors on their own, without a correction.

End of advertisement for the Volhard and other methods.

Also not arguing that it isn't better than a choke chain.

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Knighted Member

Where did you guys get your prong colars, is there a certain type better than others. I need to do something to but I am scared of chockers and the prong looks bad, but like you said looks are deceiving.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Crowned Member

Heidi, I would not just put one on if not working with a trainer to guide you. For those of you who it worked for great and I"m not arguing or debating that you're using one, many folks do with great success but it made matters worse with Gracie - who is unbelieveably stubborn. Our (old) trainer actually cut Gracie's neck in 2 places from the force of the correction. Just like any tool, be careful when you use it and know how to use it correctly (or as Norm says, be sure to read and follow all safety instructions )

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie CGC, TD, TT, PT
DOB 1/19/2006
Into our house and hearts 3/18/2006
Her last breath 2/21/2019
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:06 AM

I actually got mine at Fleet Farm which is a farm superstore up here. My trainer properly fitted it for me and showed me how to use it.

You can also add more links or take links out depending on the fit. They also sell rubber tips for the prong ends. You can find one at Petco or Petsmart

John Denver-4-19-08
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

I agree with Jen. I would first see a trainer. I would have never used one without working with Drake's trainer first. But, we got ours at a Tractor Supply store. It was cheaper then other places.

I had to take some prongs off because the collar was loose but will be good for when Drake grows so I can add the prongs back on.

Good luck!

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page