Working on recall now my dog will not stay - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Working on recall now my dog will not stay

I have been working on recall with my dog increasing the distance for recall and now have a problem with her stay command. First I have her sit and stay in a position so I can walk a distance away from her in order to call her to come. I am using food and lots of praise to reward her when she comes. When she comes she will sit in front of me as the conclusion of the come command. I think she now anticipates the reward and will start to come before I call her so I have to put her back in her starting spot and try again. Maybe I have created a pattern so I have to undo this. So now I am back to working on her stay. So I will put her in a sit stay and walk a short distance before she tries to follow, then return to her to reward her stay. My plan is to increase the distance in order for her to work to the stay rather than the recall, then proceed to recall. Does this make sense or is there a better way to do this? And yes I know if I put her in a sit, the stay should be automatic :-).

Glenn

Qadira vom Haus Tyson 01/29/08
Call name: Juli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: Working on recall now my dog will not stay

When I am working on TRAINING the recall I never use a "stay" command. I will use "WAIT" which in the human context has the dog in the same position UNTIL another command is given.

I would go back and mix up the recall and returning to the dog without a recall. GO back to using shorter distances and continually mix up both AND work on some other commands too. Routines are too easy on a GSD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Crowned Member

Jax does this with me too. She's anticipating my next command so i have to mix it up.

When I tell her to Come she does an automatic heal because that was always my next command. I can't seem to break her of it so I'm going to have to come up with a different command to stop her at the front.

I wish my dog wasn't smarter than me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Crowned Member

I very rarely do a stay and the long distance recall together.
I may walk out the 40 paces and then return to the dog, then walk out again and do a recall.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

The dog anticipating the next command, and thus breaking the stay in order to jump the gun on the recall is very common. Though it's a short term thing and simply due to the dog anticipating the command that has been worked on the most recently.

I prefer to work on recalls in situations other than where I place the dog in a sit or down stay and then call the dog for this very reason, as recalls will often screw up the stays for a while. When I do a recall from a stay, I *always* make sure to vary not just distance but how many times I stop before I actually give the recall command. I may stop and turn to face the dog, then turn back around and walk further out, 3 or 4 times before I get around to the recall. This way the dog doesn't know when the command will come and doesn't start to assume that it will come as soon as I stop and turn, because usually I stop and turn several times first. So the dog is ready for the command when it does, but is less likely to anticipate and jump the gun the very first time I turn to face him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Knighted Member

I think that is a good start. A couple of other things I might try to add ( have a feeling you've probably tried a few)

Mix up your motion (and your commands) while Juli's in a stay. Go off to the right, to the left. Return to her walk around and walk right back out away from her. Dance a little jig.

When you get back to doing the recall, do it from a shorter distance and do not always recall. Tell her to down (and if she does walk in and praise!). If you're using "come", pick out some words that are similar and proof her with them by saying something else.

Be very aware of your body/head motion on the recall as well.

Think about the command words for both parts of the recall. If I use stay, it says I plan on returning to the dog. I use wait to communicate that something else is going to occur- another command, a break, I might return etc. I also use the word front if I want him to come all the way into me. If I plan on doing something like a drop on the recall, then I use the word come.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris Wild When I do a recall from a stay, I *always* make sure to vary not just distance but how many times I stop before I actually give the recall command. I may stop and turn to face the dog, then turn back around and walk further out, 3 or 4 times before I get around to the recall. This way the dog doesn't know when the command will come and doesn't start to assume that it will come as soon as I stop and turn, because usually I stop and turn several times first. So the dog is ready for the command when it does, but is less likely to anticipate and jump the gun the very first time I turn to face him.
We do like Chris has said, also we add crazy words, makes them think also.
They will also anticipate on your voice as well.
So you can stop turn yell out "peanut", the dog should not move,
sometimes use "come" or turn & walk back or father away.
My daughter has had me laughing so hard some nights with the crazy words she uses.

OTCH SG1 (CAN) Deejay von Hausnobilis UD HIT CGN
~A Well-Balanced Dog has Titles at Both Ends~

Fayanna vom Wildhaus CGN
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you all for the excellent advice. I do have to mix things up more so she will not learn that she only has to come after a sit stay command. I also use her ball for reward and will call her after she retrieves the ball which is challenging for her since she already has a reward. She already knows the wait command. In the past I use it when on a casual walk on 15 foot line and she gets too far ahead and I want to catch up to her and put her in heel position. I could use recall for that as well. I will start to mix it up more so she has to wait for command instead of following a pattern.

Glenn

Qadira vom Haus Tyson 01/29/08
Call name: Juli
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Knighted Member

Reward with the ball too, and don't always have them sit, free them a few feet from you.
You will get a faster recall that way, also don't have them finish to often after a front sit.

OTCH SG1 (CAN) Deejay von Hausnobilis UD HIT CGN
~A Well-Balanced Dog has Titles at Both Ends~

Fayanna vom Wildhaus CGN
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Master Member

This is what I do (and how my trainer taught us) and it works wonders. NEVER RELEASE THE DOG FROM A STAY UNLESS YOU'RE AT HEEL POSITION AND MAKING FOCUSED EYE CONTACT. That was a rule my trainers instilled on us from day 1 and it really helps.

I'll tell Marshall to "wait" and use a recall out of that sometimes...but make sure he can differentiate that in a "wait" he may be released from somewhere other than heel position. A "stay" requires heel position and eye contact to be released.

If you train it that way, the dog won't anticipate getting released from the stay until you're back at his side and he's making eye contact. It really takes that frustration away from them IMO.

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)
- Adopted Collie/Terrier Jack (8/2008)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page