Evaluating food drive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Evaluating food drive

So, exactly HOW would you go about testing how much food drive your dog has?

I know with ball drive they talk about tossing the ball in a overgrown area and that a dog with high ball drive will keep looking until they find it - and looking fast!

I thought it could be fun for us to evaluate our dogs using a standard test and see where they rank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Evaluating food drive

I just observe. Jaxson will take treats from people, but he'll hold onto it. Takes his time eating. Jake, well if there's a crumb he'll find it. Takes treats, gets every bit of his food and duchess's if she lets him. He's knocked over the dog food (jaxson is on it and not raw now, mom doesn't want to feed raw). He scarfed it down. I swept up the leftovers, threw them out, darn if he didn't find the dog food in the garbage can the next morning. I think he could eat himself to oblivion like his grandmother. Ugh.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangSo, exactly HOW would you go about testing how much food drive your dog has?
One example I've observed recently is how young dogs and puppies do on a scent pad in a new environment. For example, doing a scentpad at SchH club with other dogs/handlers in the distance. Some are too distracted to care about the food on the ground, others you would have to kick them hard to get their attention!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:30 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Before she got too big Halo used to try and cram herself underneath the garage cabinet that I use to prepare the dog's meals because she thought there might be an ancient piece of petrified kibble that rolled under there years ago, and BY GAWD she was going to get it!!!! And I mean EVERY time I went out there with her she tried to dive under that **** cabinet. She was going to get it or die trying - even while I was mixing their food, right before she was going to get to eat an actual meal, she was obsessed with possible stray pieces of kibble.

Keefer has cracked open a Buster Cube that had been lost in the garage a few years ago, trying to get at the remaining SMELL of kibble that's long since gone. I mean, the cube has probably been empty for over 5 years, but you never know, there might be a tiny lingering morsel of taste left if only he could get the chance to lick it and find out. He broke into a new bag of food and had eaten who knows how much by the time I heard strange sounds coming from the garage and went to investigate. He swelled up like a balloon, but was showing no signs of distress, he just looked about twice as wide as usual until he had a couple of majorly huge poops. That's how I know he'd eat until he exploded - he actually tried to do just that! *sigh*

Both of them dive on their food bowls, eat ravenously, and start to drool before I even put the bowl on the floor. Food drive!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Master Member

My son dropped a piece of kibble and it ended up under the stove. Juli was digging on the kitchen floor under the drawer to get at it. My son said he couldn't find it. I pulled the drawer out of the stove to get at the kibble that had rolled almost all the way to the wall. She eats her bowl of food in less than 30 seconds. She will still respond to training treats with a full stomach. I guess she has a lot of food drive! Fortunately she also has tons of ball drive so I can use either as a reward.

Qadira vom Haus Tyson 01/29/08
Call name: Juli
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Crowned Member

Onyx and Karlo have strong food drive. Kacie does not. But, she will retrieve and spit the toy out where the other two won't so much.
Onyx brings it back but wont give it up, Karlo is a bit young on the retrieve, though we are working on it.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Crowned Member

Diabla can eat three days of food in one meal... after breakfast. She needs a big rock on her dish not to choke herself while eating, as a pup she would inhale kibble through her nose. She BITES the bottom of the metallic dish enough to leave deep marks on it. She tracks only or kibble or she runs though the track... after breakfast again. You can't use food as a reward in an empty stomach without risking loosing a limb.

And if you give a piece of bread embedded in awfully tasting medicine she can spit it out at first, but could not resist the sight of food no matter how bad it is and will eat it anyways....

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page