Need Some Training Goals - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Need Some Training Goals

Hi all,

The animals and I head up to the cottage for two weeks at the end of June. I've done all of Rafi's basic training on my own and he's a perfect companion dog.

Since I'll have more time to devote to training I would like to teach him a few new things up at the cottage. I am going to print out the instructions for teaching getting an object but I'd like to teach a few more things too. Can you help me come up with a few new things to teach him?

He knows:

Sit
Down
Wait
Stay
Back (come around behind me)
Stay Close (Off leash)
Easy (slow down)
Watch
Find it
Go
Up
Tunnel
Leave It
He also does automatic sits at corners or curbs, on or off leash.

He does not bark AT ALL. I'd like to teach him to bark but since nothing makes him bark I am not sure how to get that started.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Need Some Training Goals

I taught Kenya to target with her nose ("nose") or paw ("touch"). I also got an Easy Button from Staples and taught her "touch the button!" which is cute for showing kids and such. "Up" is paws up on my chest. She spins right and left....

Nikon knows "rollover", "speak", and "whisper" (which is just snapping his jaws or a raspy grunt rather than a SPEAK bark).

They all know "shake" or "pound it" (same thing).

Coke knows "wave".
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

"Up" means to climb or jump up onto something. Rafi knows "Hugs" to jump on me.

Touch/Target is a good one. I taught Kai that one b/c he was afraid of everything.

I have to find my clicker!!!!!!!

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

Weaving through the legs is cool
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Master Member

Assuming he can also recall and sit in front, you can teach him to finish on the left and right sides into a heel position, and also return to 'front' from heel position.

And since he knows watch...work on some competition heeling!!??

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)
- Adopted Collie/Terrier Jack (8/2008)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LiesjeWeaving through the legs is cool
That's a good idea--and it would be easy b/c he already weaves around people when he's happy to see them.

I guess I'm looking more for tricks and other useful OB commands.

I also need to work on his ball retrieve. He is very silly about "Closer" and will sometimes move the ball about an inch at a time or move it to the side instead of closer to me!

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Crowned Member

I taught Anna "circle" where she goes in a circle and people love that one...I have no idea why. It is cute though!

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Crowned Member

Some practical ones I use:

Side - once they are in the Down position I want them to lay on their side (for vet exams)

Head Down - once in the Side position I want them to lay their head down on the ground (again - for vet exams, xrays, etc.)

Counter - Put your front feet up on something (like the counter at the pet store - for getting treats)

Go Around - when on leash and they go on one side of something (lets say a post) and I go on the other - I use Go Around to get them to back up and come around to MY side

Load Up - jump into the car on command ONLY (make they wait for the command before they can get in)

Unload - get our of the car on command ONLY

Go To Bed - go into your crate (you can use a dog bed or mat instead of the crate)
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I use "rest" the same what that Lauri uses "side". It is also VERY useful for nail clipping time.

Teaching him specific object/toy names and then add "Get <insert object/toy>"

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LiesjeI taught Kenya to target with her nose ("nose") or paw ("touch"). I also got an Easy Button from Staples and taught her "touch the button!" which is cute for showing kids and such. "Up" is paws up on my chest. She spins right and left....

Nikon knows "rollover", "speak", and "whisper" (which is just snapping his jaws or a raspy grunt rather than a SPEAK bark).

They all know "shake" or "pound it" (same thing).

Coke knows "wave".
OH! The Easy Button would have been perfect and entertaining for my obedience class trick.

We did "thinking dog" exercises in obedience class that included, sitting when we touched a door knob, down, when we touched our watches, down when we sat on a chair (to put on our shoes), bow, and wave. The trick was to teach them to do this without giving a verbal command.

And we worked on touch/targeting. Very handy when teaching the dog to come to heel position.

I taught Dakota to give five, high ten, and to target which hand had the treat (by jumping up and placing both front paws on the hand she wanted). For added fun, add a 2n person, so now they have 4 choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page