Dog wont come back - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Dog wont come back

Hi, I have a 10 mth working line male who has been in schutzhund training since 4 mths of age. He is doing very well and will be training with a SAR team this summer also. His ob is great on and off the field but when we are at home at a park sometimes if he sees a dog he runs after it and I cant call him back. This dosen't happen all the time but he almost ran into the street earlier this week chasing after a dog he saw running on the side walk. The here command is great on the field but not so at home. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Dog wont come back

Why is he off leash?

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I'm moving this from SchH to general training because it really has nothing to do with SchH, but rather general training and dog management.

With regards to the topic, I would second the question of why is he off leash? Clearly he's not ready to be off lead outside of a formal training scenario, so for his own safety and that of others he should be on leash. Plus, every time he's off lead and gets to ignore the recall command he is learning that it is optional. A dog should never be set up to fail that way or put into a situation where he can practice the exact opposite of the desired response. So I'd say put him back on lead and do some specific training work on informal recalls amidst distraction. Sounds like he has learned what the recall means in the formal setting of the SchH field, but is no where near to the point where he is going to globalize that to other areas, situations and distractions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

How do you suggest I get him proper excerise? I live in an urban area.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

If you can't find a fenced area to exercise him in safely, then use a long line. You can get a heck of a game of fetch going with a 30-50' long line, and if he goes to take off after something you can still use the line to stop him. Inconvenient and a bit cumbersome yes, but better than a dead dog.

The long line will also be needed to train his recalls, since it will allow you to reinforce the command and prevent him from ignoring you and taking off.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Elite Member

We used a local fenced tennis court when we were working with Max on recall. That way he could be off leash but contained.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:05 PM

I agree with the above, and as well as the tennis court idea, look for baseball fields that are fenced in.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to windwalker718 Send a message via Yahoo to windwalker718

Also in an emergency situation try DOWN!! instead of COME.

For some reason I've had better results with difficult dogs doing that, and even saved their lives when about to sprint across a highway.

Home of:
Bree... Rescue Mutt (12/11)
Demi V. Hayden (8/09)
SG Ikon V.Wolfstraum--(5/09)

& Many beloveds at the gate waiting for me...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Crowned Member

When John and I were looking in SchH the trainer explicitly told us that the training the dog learned on the field WOULD NOT transfer to real life. The trainer told us that this is a performance for the dog and they know the difference between when it's time to perform on the field and when they're just at home with you.

I think you should either invest in a line long or, as suggested, go to some fenced in area. Sometimes I'll put Jerzey on a long line in the yard that's not actually connected to anything on the other end. It's just in case something catches her interest and she tries to go for it, then I'll just grab it. (It's been a problem lately when I go to my parents house that the neighbor's dog gets out, so it is esp. helpful in similar situations as yours!)

I've also used the tennis courts at my University quite often. You could try a dog park, if you feel comfortable with that. Perhaps go to a local school and ask if it would be okay if you use the courts when the school is closed if you pick up after your dog. (Since it's public, I feel like technically you're paying for it so you should be able to use it either way, but that's just me!)

I hope this helps! Good luck with your pup.

ETA: Some suggested the "down" command above instead of "come." We've actually started using a "touch" command... in which Jerzey is expected to come and touch our hand. It requires her to come, without necessarily saying the word. There is something about that "come" command, I swear, that just causes a dog to turn their nose sometimes and keep on running!

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Quote: the trainer explicitly told us that the training the dog learned on the field WOULD NOT transfer to real life. The trainer told us that this is a performance for the dog and they know the difference between when it's time to perform on the field and when they're just at home with you.
This is true unless you work at the commands out in real life.
Also many of the clubs I go to said hold the end of the long line and let the dog choose to run after the other dog and LET THEM hit the end of the long line. At that moment they hit the end of the long line the shock of hitting the end you say a firmer sharper HERE command!

For us the down command is my safety/calming command one of which I have had to use quite a few times with both dogs.

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page