Free Run of the House - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Free Run of the House

The overwhelming opinion is that crate training is the way to go, and I've read plenty of threads on it, but I haven't seen anything on how to "wean" your dog off the crate, eventually letting them have free run of the house.

The way my parents did it when I was growing up (and in retrospect I don't agree with a lot of their training methods) was that the dog stayed crated at night and when everyone was gone for maybe 6 to 8 months or so...until no more accidents, house manners were learned (no chewing, etc) and they learned to lay down and chill, that is, not overly playful all the time. Then there was maybe a small period of time where the dog was crated only during the day, but allowed to sleep out at night. Then the crate was taken away and the dog had FRotH.

Now I think it's worth saying that my parents mistakenly used the crate as a punishment tool (e.g. dog has an accident, slap on the butt, NO!, taken outside briefly, then into the crate it goes), so potty training and house manners may have taken much longer with our dogs than it should have.

But my question is...what steps at what ages do you take with your dogs to remove the crate and let them have FRotH, or do you even let them at all? Even when they are allowed FRotH do you still keep the crate set up just in case?

"We treat our dogs as if they were 'almost human': that is why they really become 'almost human' in the end."

-C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:53 PM

Re: Free Run of the House

I can't see why you would want your dog to have FRotH while you're not there. You never know if they might get the urge to eat something and that something gets stuck and they choke to death while you're not there. Blake has never stayed outside of his crate when we're not there. It is just too dangerous. Just my 2 cents.

Blake - 2008/06/03
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Crowned Member

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...=1#Post1084186
This thread may be of help.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlhttps://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...=1#Post1084186
This thread may be of help.
Haha WOW that's the exact same subject. I read that forum all the time I don't know how I missed it. Thanks, and sorry for the double post!

"We treat our dogs as if they were 'almost human': that is why they really become 'almost human' in the end."

-C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 04:58 PM

Aloha, All. Hope everyone is having a reflective and restful Memorial Day Weekend. Rasa has FRotH 24/7 me being here or not. Even the storage room that I keep her food. She knows it is HER domain when I am gone. I leave the house doors open and gate to the 3 acre yard open, but perimeter gates locked . There seems to be no dangerous things for her to get into. It works great and I don't even own a kennel. She just hangs out until I come back, but wish she would drink while I am gone. (but she is 4 1/4 years old too and is over the mischief stage).

frank
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Knighted Member

I crated Jake (a rescue) only when he was left alone.He was never crated at night or when I was home and NOT watching him.He never did anything wrong but the first time I left him free in house to go to work for 8 hrs I was a nervous wreck.He did not do anything the first day or any other day for more than 3 years he has had run of house.Jake will NOT either eat or drink when I am away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page