Crate training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Crate training

First night - crate in bedroom. Non stop whining, barking, and general **** raising (sounded like a frat party).

Question #1 - Does crate training ever fail? This is my second dog and the first was fine with crate training. Are there ever situations where crate training is just not suitable for that dog?

Question #2 - I'm moving the crate into the laundry room (I'm going to need to sleep at least 1 day out of 3). I plan on moving it back into the bedroom, but give him a few days of whining to get accustomed to it. Maybe my mistake was to do the bedroom first....maybe I should have moved him to the bedroom after a few days in the laundry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Master Member

Re: Crate training

Ah man, don't envy you....

I have only 2 instances where crate training was a no-go.....
both of them completely broke out of the crate, and I ended up training them by teaching them to sleep beside the bed on a blanket.....
BUT.....99% of the time crate training works.

Good idea moving it to laundry room.
How old is your puppy? I would set your alarm clock to wake up at least once or twice in the middle of the night to take the baby out.

Catherine Morton LVT (Small Animal Internal Medicine)
Mana Shepherds
South Carolina
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:18 AM

I tried (as best I could) to make the crate a pleasurable experience. I used the hollow Kongs, filled them with peanut butter (I liked the runny organic kind) and froze them. When it was time for crating, there was a nice peanut butter pop going into each crate with them. It worked so well for my dogs... Maybe it will work for yours...

Dania
Mom to:
Belle Dalmatian Rescued 10/01
Apollo GSD Rescued 02/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Master Member

Kongs, peanut butter <and liver> are a dog owners best friend :-)))

Catherine Morton LVT (Small Animal Internal Medicine)
Mana Shepherds
South Carolina
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Mozart396First night - crate in bedroom. Non stop whining, barking, and general **** raising (sounded like a frat party).
Make sure your pup gets NO sleep for at least 2 hours before you plan to go to bed. Keep them awake and playing.

A tired puppy is a sleeping through the night (or darn close) puppy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Elite Member

Feed the dog in the crate, give them toys in the crate, treats, make them LOVE it

all I have to say is "crate" now and Koch runs to it. Would never NOT crate train. Just make the crate fun And it will pay off

Java Haus Juris, CGC - 6/2/2012
Kessey "Koch" Von der Sauk - 10/26/2008 - 04/23/2011 - Pronounced "Coke"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Crowned Member

I pretty much did the same things as Smith3 did. Between my dogs', Cody was VERY loud as a puppy, always crying and screaming but he grew out if it as he got older. I'm sure yours will too.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Knighted Member

I would also start playing some basic crate games with him. Toss a treat/toy in there, let him go get it and then come back out, treat again. This way he learns that (1) good things happen when you go in the crate and (2) he is not going to get shut in everytime he goes in (just sometimes)

And like someone above said, start feeding ALL his meals in the crate.

Also, try throwing a blanket over the crate at night so he can't see out. Some (not all) pups react very well to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page