Making progress on chasing cars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Making progress on chasing cars

Slowly but surely we are getting somewhere. The first few minutes when we start off our walks, Koch can be terrible wanting to get everything - but I can sometimes capture her attention. Being pent up in a cage then out with those fun cars is exciting!

Once the initial rush is over, she ignores a good percentage of vehicles racing down the side roads. Occasionally she won't heed my calls for attention and will lunge after them. One thing she has gotten better about (typically) is how hard she goes after them, before she'd almost break her neck trying to race after a vehicle, but now she will sort of run but slowly follow the vehicle going by.

I wanted to try the "patti miller" method of starting father out and slowly working in to get her over vehicles, but that doens't quite work when your only place to walk is sidewalks on side streets.

I've been sticking with the advice of "be more interesting than the cars" - treats are nice, but what REALLY gets her going is a good Schutzhund tug. If I see a car coming - I'll let her notice it, then I'll work on getting her attention. I'll let her mouth the tug and if she ignores the car, we get a good game of tugging going on as a reward. She loves it!

Hopefully once this phase passes and she stops going after vehicles, we can really start working on her heeling. She pulls a little bit, but I want her to walk by my side at all times.

Java Haus Juris, CGC - 6/2/2012
Kessey "Koch" Von der Sauk - 10/26/2008 - 04/23/2011 - Pronounced "Coke"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Making progress on chasing cars

Progress is great! You can't get to the end immediately but as long as you two are moving towards those goals you're doing good. And it's great to find the things you can use-sometimes food sometimes a toy.

Keep it up!

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Making progress on chasing cars

Congratulations! She's still very young, so this progress is really good. Sounds like you're doing the right things--keep it up!

Karin and Dave

Heidi, 9-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page