Question on chain choke. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Question on chain choke.

I read that if you are seeking a trainer to look for one that does not use choke collars because it is cruel. I am guessing a "chain choke" is the same thing?

The trainer we were interested in say's that typical dogs (i am guessing all dogs) must have a chain choke and 6ft lead.

This place would be ideal because it is 20 minutes closer then another trainer we were considering.

I need some explaining on choke collars while training. Or, chain chokes.

Jillian

Drake-1 year old GSD- Birthday December 6th

Add Drake @ Dogster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Question on chain choke.

The aren't cruel themselves. I use "choke" or "slip" collars and leads on my adult GSD all the time, but she has manners and walks on a loose leash.

The problem with the chain chokes is when they tighten constantly. They choke off the dog, can damage the trachea, and don't teach anything. Honestly, if you are going to use a choke collar you are better off actually giving the corrections (quick jerk) yourself than letting the collar "self" correct which ends up with the dog pulling harder and learning nothing.

I personally don't use any trainer that "requires" certain equipment. My trainer recommends that everyone come with a regular collar and whatever leash they like, and after seeing the dog she will suggest other tools. Even with that recommendation, I bring Kenya on slip leads and Nikon sometimes on a prong or gentle leader.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I really do not want to have to use a chain choke on Drake.

We would still like to come out to Marshall next Friday and check things out down there. I just need an OK to do so. Or at least get him in an obedience training, asap.

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

NO training tool is "evil" or "abusive", unless it is used in a manner that damages your dog, physically or spiritually.

In other words, a choke chain, used correctly and on a dog that responds well to this type of correction, is a great training tool. A choke chain that is used in an abusive manner or on a dog that does not respond well to that type of correction, is going to damage your relationship with the dog, if not the dog's health.

In your situation, I would ask whether you can sit in and observe a class without your dog, and see how you feel about the training. See how the trainer interacts with the dog and how the handlers interact with their dogs. What does the dogs' body language look like? Are they uncomfortable or frightened? Or are they eager to work, hardly noticing any corrections?

What are your other training collar options in this class? Would your trainer let you come in on a flat collar, or a prong, or a harness, or a head halter? What tool would you prefer to use? Do you need a training collar to work on a specific issue, or can you work without a training collar? Those are all questions I'd be asking, both myself, and the trainer I'm considering.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good Chris. I will call and see if we can go observe first to see how things go.

You have great questions to ask. I will definately use these.

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Crowned Member

I think you need to find the correction collar your dog responds too. I have a choke, prong and e-collar. The choke will NOT work with the one boxer. She goes to the end and keeps right on trucking. A prong and she is the best dog ever.

I use a prong on Jax because a woman completely freaked her out and she wouldn't respond to the choke. I'm now working on getting her to a flat buckle collar so can go for therapy testing.

They are all tools that need to be used correctly.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SchotziThanks for the info! I really do not want to have to use a chain choke on Drake.

We would still like to come out to Marshall next Friday and check things out down there. I just need an OK to do so. Or at least get him in an obedience training, asap.
Yeah come on down! If it's not for you, I'm sure people can suggest other good trainers in the area. I live in GR so I don't know of the trainers in your area but there are people from Lansing and closer by.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Let me give you an idea of how Drake is on a Leash.

He isn't that bad at all actually. He pulls ahead a bit and wanders off course to the side of the sidewalk where the grass is. Which is always peoples yards. Not good! A poo accident is all I need.

He never chases after things.

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good!

I look forward to bringing Drake for a visit and possibly many return visits.

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Crowned Member

just an fyi...a doctor I know has some kind of plastic link collar that works like a prong. My OB instructor just ordered one for another dog that the chain isn't quite enough for but the prong is wayyyy to much for. You could probably find it on the internet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page