Gentle leader vs. Halti? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Gentle leader vs. Halti?

I recently had a trainer recommend a gentle leader for my GSD. I went to the store this morning to find numerous different makes and models. Is there a difference? What should I use? I am new to using this training tool, so I thought maybe some people with more experience could give me some ideas.
Thanks,
Karen NE. PA

Boomer-10yr. old lab/shep mix
Cody-3 yr.old GSD
Princess-3 year old ?mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Gentle leader vs. Halti?

I would use the Easy Walk Harness instead (made by the same company as Gentle Leader). I'm not a fan of the head halter type collars as they can cause injury if your dog sees something and tries to take off... also most dogs HATE them! The Easy Walk Harness works just as well

http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?pag...uctdescription
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Elite Member

We have not used any head harnesses so I can't help you with those. We do use the Easy Walk by Gentle Leader and we think they are great. I like the fact that the control point is in front of the chest, not the neck or head. The dogs do respond to them and even if they are in high prey drive (passing squirrel?), they can be controlled.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

IMO, and not trying to be rude................. but I think that all those so called "gentle leader" type leads are just a lazy way of getting out of real dog training!

A properly trained dog, yes EVEN A GSD, can walk with out pulling on a regular leash!!!!

If your TRAINER is recommending this type of lead, I would find myself a different trainer!!!!

Ania, mom to
Dexter & Yoshi - one-eyed-Pekingese
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AniadoubleIMO, and not trying to be rude................. but I think that all those so called "gentle leader" type leads are just a lazy way of getting out of real dog training!

A properly trained dog, yes EVEN A GSD, can walk with out pulling on a regular leash!!!!

If your TRAINER is recommending this type of lead, I would find myself a different trainer!!!!
While the Gentle Leader isn't a substitute for training your dog to walk on a leash, there are times when my dog spots a deer or squirrel and forgets - the GL sure helps with control in those cases and I feel more comfortable when she is wearing a GL or a prong collar.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MayzieGSD
Quote:
Originally Posted By: AniadoubleIMO, and not trying to be rude................. but I think that all those so called "gentle leader" type leads are just a lazy way of getting out of real dog training!
While the Gentle Leader isn't a substitute for training there are times when my dog spots a deer or squirrel and forgets - the GL sure helps with control in those cases and I feel more comfortable when she is wearing a GL or a prong collar

Unfortunately, most people get the GL because they are too lazy to do the proper training!

I prefer the prong collar over any other collar. For me it has provides the most control PLUS you can correct with it. You CANNOT correct with a GL!

Ania, mom to
Dexter & Yoshi - one-eyed-Pekingese

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Master Member

Its hard picking products when you dont know much about them, but in my opinion you get what you pay for...

~Rachel
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Elite Member

A dog will pull on any kind of leash or harness (other than I suppose a prong) without training. I just prefer not to use the neck for control. Our dogs walk on slack leash with the harness as they should.

We used a prong on our previous dog Sophie. I will admit I'm sure we did not use it 100% properly, nor did we have the best prong (based on some I've seen since) but I'm not a fan of them. I do see lots of folks on here using them and swear by them so I would certainly not suggest the OP should not consider them.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Aniadouble
Quote:
Originally Posted By: MayzieGSD
Quote:
While the Gentle Leader isn't a substitute for training there are times when my dog spots a deer or squirrel and forgets - the GL sure helps with control in those cases and I feel more comfortable when she is wearing a GL or a prong collar

Unfortunately, most people get the GL because they are too lazy to do the proper training!

I prefer the prong collar over any other collar. For me it has provides the most control PLUS you can correct with it. You CANNOT correct with a GL!
Totally agree find yourself a new trainer!!!
if my trainer ever told me to get a GL, I'd be telling him/her give me my money back

A trainer is suppose to teach you how to train your dog
I never leave the house without Brady on a prong collar not that I need to correct him but if I have too.
Brady doesn't pull and when he does I say no and he corrects himself

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Knighted Member

Heidi was a big puller when we first got her. We tried the Gentle Leader and she hated it, plus it started to leave an intention on her nose (and we did have it fitted correctly). What helped the most was the Easy Walk Harness. Something about the pressure on her chest made her slow down more than the pressure on her neck/head.

Karin and Dave

Heidi, 9-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from:

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page