4mnth Old Puppy Trouble - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

4mnth Old Puppy Trouble

I have a new German Shepherd puppy, brought back from a very trusting and knowledgeable breeder in Poland. He is from German lines (champ) and I am having so much trouble with the little <span style="color: #33FF33">monster</span>!

His name is Liam. Now, the problem is mainly that he bites and bites and bites like there's no tomorrow! He's getting bigger by the days now and it is really starting to hurt. This mostly happens when we are playing or when he is in his "hyper" mode. I try to give him a whimper or a stern NO with immediate ignorance afterwords, but he just does not care. I can't allow him to play with my younger brothers because he will be able to hurt them. Once he gets a grip on my arm, he starts pulling and I can only make him let go by grabbing the scruff of his neck.

Let's put it this way, he is <u>too intelligent</u> for his own good. It's not that he doesn't know he is doing wrong, because if I have a treat at hand he will do ANYTHING for it without hesitation. He knows how to sit, down, paw, wait, drop it, and leave it if he knows I have a treat. Without treats, I'm useless.

Should I drop the treats all together and start off from a clean page with JUST physical praise? I just need some answers on this.

It's not that he's aggressive, not at all, although he does get a little snappy when I correct him.

Liam is an angel when he is not in a playful mood, he loves to come by and rest his little head on my lap and I can <u>playful</u> tease him then without him even trying to bite back.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and helps me out. Are all German Shepherd puppies like this? Please tell me your experiences raising and training a German Shepherd pup!

By the way, is obedience training worth it? I just can't afford to spend so much money on something that I am not sure will help. About how much will it cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

Re: 4mnth Old Puppy Trouble

Quote:
Quote: Are all German Shepherd puppies like this?
Can't speak for all of them but I'd dare say most of them.

Get a booda tug, keep it with you. When he gets bitey, redirect him to the tug. When you play tug, sometimes he wins, sometimes you do (slightly more you winning) You can teach him to let go with this and then when you're done, you take the tug away and put it back in your pocket (or up where he can't get it)

With the tug, you can teach him control over his biting and give him an outlet to get it out of his system. They bite, it's normal.
OB training isn't necessary for all pups. If you're happy with him training, he may not need it. My female only took a 6 week class then some drop in agility classes - she's one of the most obedient dogs I've had.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Are all German Shepherd puppies like this?

Yes. They are very mouthy pups.

Is obedience training worth it?

Yes. It's great socialization for your pup and great training for you, so that you can train your pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to doggonefool

<span style="color: #000099">You have lots of great questions and you have come to a great place for answers. </span>

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LiamGSDI have a new German Shepherd puppy, brought back from a very trusting and knowledgeable breeder in Poland. He is from German lines (champ) and I am having so much trouble with the little <span style="color: #33FF33">monster</span>!

<span style="color: #000099">It sounds like he may be from working lines and needs a job to do. Sessions with trainers can be from $80.00 an hour to $150.00 and hour in our area...probably more for long term training. The one that I went to was $2000.00 for long term training for basic obedience. Basic Puppy Training with someone reputable would be of GREAT HELP to both you and your puppy and do it SOON</span>

His name is Liam. Now, the problem is mainly that he bites and bites and bites like there's no tomorrow! He's getting bigger by the days now and it is really starting to hurt. This mostly happens when we are playing or when he is in his "hyper" mode. I try to give him a whimper or a stern NO with immediate ignorance afterwords, but he just does not care. I can't allow him to play with my younger brothers because he will be able to hurt them. Once he gets a grip on my arm, he starts pulling and I can only make him let go by grabbing the scruff of his neck.

<span style="color: #000099">
A mother dog teaches her pups by 'scruffing' them. It works well when the pups are young but can be less effective as they get older. How old is your pup?</span>

Let's put it this way, he is <u>too intelligent</u> for his own good. It's not that he doesn't know he is doing wrong, because if I have a treat at hand he will do ANYTHING for it without hesitation. He knows how to sit, down, paw, wait, drop it, and leave it if he knows I have a treat. Without treats, I'm useless.

<span style="color: #000099">Don't give up and feel useless. Puppies are a lot of work, but SO rewarding. I think that all of us here find out German Shepherds too intelligent That's what German Shepherds are. You need to be committed to this dog for a long time and it's up to you to learn how to be a team and not let the dog be in charge of the team rules</span>

Should I drop the treats all together and start off from a clean page with JUST physical praise? I just need some answers on this.

<span style="color: #000099">There's a lot of controversy about treat training. Personally, I am in favor of it if it works. He is still pretty young; you want to build consistent behavior in him. You can decrease the frequency of the treats as the behaviors that you want become stronger.</span>

It's not that he's aggressive, not at all, although he does get a little snappy when I correct him.

Liam is an angel when he is not in a playful mood, he loves to come by and rest his little head on my lap and I can <u>playful</u> tease him then without him even trying to bite back.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and helps me out. Are all German Shepherd puppies like this? Please tell me your experiences raising and training a German Shepherd pup!
<span style="color: #000099">

I believe that most German Shepherd puppies are like this; and a lot of them remain strong willed and too intelligent as they grow into dogs. You have to be strong willed and more intelligent. They are a working breed and need a job to do. You need to find something that you can work at together; walk, run, find weeds, balls, squirrels.</span>

By the way, is obedience training worth it? I just can't afford to spend so much money on something that I am not sure will help. About how much will it cost?
It depends on the trainer and what kind of training that you are looking for. At the very least, find a puppy class; it will teach you and your puppy how to work as a team. And do it SOON. Your puppy is being a puppy now. You need to learn how to teach him what is appropriate behavior and what is not.

There are also a lot of books out there, depending on what kind of training that you become comfortable with. Patricia B. McConnell has some good books, as does<span style="color: #FF0000"> Suzanne Clothier </span>. They are more 'relationship based training' which is okay if you're training a companion dog, but probably insufficient if you want to do Schutzhund or Agility or anything competitive...but a good place to start. Control Unleashed by Leslie McDermott has a lot of good training techniques.

Your pup still sounds really young; any kind of <span style="color: #FF0000">training </span> will be worth it if you research and find something good. You can probably find someone on this board who is in your area that can give you some advice.

Carol, the Foster Failure
My Pack
BSD Ranger (4/2001), A.Husky Loki (12/2007), A.Husky Jukka (12/2007), GSD River (8/2006?)
Rainbow Bridge: Whimsey(4/2004-7/7/2008), Sparkie(6/1990-8/2005), Draco(10/1989-11/2004) Smokie(3/1997-7/2003)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

He's four monthes now

-Sandra
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

thank you so much for your replies (:

-Sandra
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

Awww, what a handsome little monster he is with his little TeePee ears! Great thick bones on him, he's going to be very solid. His eyes look very intense. If I didn't say it before, structure structure structure in his daily life. Now rather than later so he's the good boy you need him to be. (LOL, I also have a heavy boned buff beast with intense eyes, he turns 1 next saturday)

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jenn for all your replies to my questions and compliments on my boy!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to doggonefool

He's awful cute. Almost makes me want a puppy...later Good luck with him!

Carol, the Foster Failure
My Pack
BSD Ranger (4/2001), A.Husky Loki (12/2007), A.Husky Jukka (12/2007), GSD River (8/2006?)
Rainbow Bridge: Whimsey(4/2004-7/7/2008), Sparkie(6/1990-8/2005), Draco(10/1989-11/2004) Smokie(3/1997-7/2003)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page