Does sit mean sit or did you train stay/wait? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Does sit mean sit or did you train stay/wait?

I'm curious which way you trained your dogs, why and if you wish you had done something different and why.

I taught Dante sit, down, etc and then either wait or stay depending on the situation.

Now part of me wishes I had simply taught him that sit/down/etc mean sit/down/etc until I release him. Seems silly to have two commands instead of just one.

So what did you do and why?
Do you wish you had done it differently and why?

(I'm not sure how training in various sports impacts these commands, hopefully we'll get some people in here to answer!)

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Re: Does sit mean sit or did you train stay/wait?

Great post Barb, I have also been wishing I had taught sit as a sit without moving until released.

Mara

<span style="color: red">Markos Ezekiel vom Spartanville (Zeke)- Born July 2008</span>
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Crowned Member

I teach sit, down, and stand all as meaning "assume this position and stay in this position until given a release command". I just don't find having a dog sit briefly and then pop up to be useful and don't want to have to give the additional stay command.

I do use "stay" also, but that's more to reinforce a longer stay, for example if I'm going to walk away and leave the dog.

I also use "wait" but that is usually used without a sit/down etc. command accompanying it. We use "wait" to mean "freeze until released". For example when I'm hiking with the dogs off leash and want a minute to catch up, or before I release them to get out of the car (they are only allowed out of the car with a release command).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Crowned Member

I taught sit, down but I also us stay to reinforce whatever
I want him to do.

Place is a good one too!!

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

Depends. Ideally it means sit until otherwise instructed but in day-to-day situations I'm bad at reinforcing the built in stay, so it's not the dog's fault.

The last trial I did was with Kenya. She had to do a sit out of motion and a down out of motion and did them both, but there were other excersizes where I was permitted to reinforce the command, so I gave her the "wait" signal since there was no penalty.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 04:24 PM

I taught sit and stay separately, because I use stay in conjunction with lay, and other commands, too. Looking back, I think I also kept them separate for consistencies sake (and laziness), because if I couldn't reinforce the "stay" I didn't want to use it.

I agree with DMC "place" is awesome. I think it is one of the most useful commands my dog knows.

Owner to Minerva - 2yo uber pup & Zelda - 13 pounds of feline fury!

"The more I see of man, the more I like dogs." ~Mme. de Staël
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Barb E.I'm curious which way you trained your dogs, why and if you wish you had done something different and why.

I taught Dante sit, down, etc and then either wait or stay depending on the situation.

Now part of me wishes I had simply taught him that sit/down/etc mean sit/down/etc until I release him. Seems silly to have two commands instead of just one.

So what did you do and why?
Do you wish you had done it differently and why?

(I'm not sure how training in various sports impacts these commands, hopefully we'll get some people in here to answer!)

Barb, I did the exact same! I taught them seperately and wish I hadn't. I could probably go back and fix that but
Next time!

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 05:11 PM

I taught "sit" and then "stay/wait" separately. However, somehow, she understands "sit" means to hold that position for an extended period of time... not just put your butt on the ground. "Stay/wait" means that this is going to be a long period of time, I might walk away from you, I might leave your line of sight, I might do all sorts of crazy things, but you're still expected to stay there."

I didn't realize that she understood "sit" in this way until I was handling someone's Doberman for a minute in our last obedience class and every time I told him to sit, he'd put his butt on the ground and then pop back up.

--Rhena, owner of
Juno, White German Shepherd, female b 10-15-2008, adopted 01-05-2009

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Master Member

For us sit means you do not move and down means you do not move.

Now I also teach this in my classes as well Stay only come into place when they must stay in an area but are free to move around like behind a baby gate...

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Banned

Only one command, sit means sit until you tell the dog to do something different. I used to do sit, and then with a hand signal tell Timber to stay. Now we are working on a single command.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page