Clicker-training heel-- without losing my hands! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Clicker-training heel-- without losing my hands!

Cash and I are taking a pre-agility clicker training class and we're supposed to be teaching "heel" with the clicker. He's learning very well but when I go to give him the reward he bites half my hand with it!! He's really excited and motivated to learn; how do I get him to stop eating my hand without dampening his motivation?
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Elite Member

Re: Clicker-training heel-- without losing my hands!

Get one of those pseudo-mail kitchen gloves

Go back a step & start by teaching him to take his treats with a gentle mouth tho this will likely still fail abit when he gets excited.
Definitely bring this up with your instructor at next class (go a few minutes early) or even call/email her.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Crowned Member

Bianca has that problem too. I've had a few suggestions including feed her off a spoon and spitting treats instead of using my hands. I've been told that spitting treats also helps to reinforce eye contact.
Another suggestion I had was teaching them gentle by holding the treat in a closed hand and not offering it until they stop biting/licking the hand. However I've found that this doesn't work that well because when she does stop licking/chewing my hand and I sat "Yes!" and open my hand for her to get the treat, she just chomps at my hand then anyway. :P

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

I will second both of Chicagocanine's suggestions. I have used (and watched my trainer use) the closed hand method. I know she used it with two young GSD pups in our classes for sure! Though I would suggest instead of using a marker or other release cue to allow your dog to take the treat, you just open your hand up so they can take the treat.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 03:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Basisud

Another suggestion would be to try to give treats like you do for horses. Flat hand facing their mouth with your thumb only holding the treat. Another way is to not give them access to too much of the treat so they have to gently use their front teeth to grab the treat. It works for my pup but he is only 10 weeks. Good luck!

Nate & Angela

Five Month Old German Shepherd "Diesel"
One year old Yellow Labrador "Annie"
2x Two year old Domestic Short haired Cats "Mickey & Lucky"
Two year old flying Squirrel "Rocky"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:50 PM

I hold the treat in my hand with just a very little bit of the treat exposed. He can't snap at it and he has to reach with his front teeth to try and get it. I tell him "easy" and when he can finally grip it, I allow him to have it. They catch on very easy that they will not longer be able to snatch the goodie.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:58 PM

where are you taking classes? we have a male in pre agility who just passed the first level

hes going to dallas dog sports

bout the hand biting i would do the closed hand method too. seem sto work most of the time

Swagger (Male) - 9/13/08
Hustle vom GerdesHaus (Female)- 7/4/08

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Master Member

It really does work if you just hold the treat so that they cant get it unless then grab with the front of their teeth, I tell them easy, easy. They catch on fast. They dont get the treat until they take it 'easy'.

Marie

Quest Vom Spartanville (DOB 1/31/09) SCH2 IPO2 (Regionals 2012) BH TR1 CGC GSD
Leon v.h. Basjes Huis (3/26/12) GSD
Rosa Aritar Bastet (7/4/12) GSD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Dont give him the treat before his sitting nice and calm..

Rikke Hansen
Amagers Luca 1 year (gsd)
Kieffer 2 years (danish/swedish farmdog)
Bertha 4 weeks (danish/swedish farmdog)
Hot Shot 5 weeks (malinois)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page