Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area / Saratoga
Car lunging -- Update
I've posted several times, and we DID try everything over the period of nearly 4+ months (Xargos is 7 months now) --even our private trainer couldn't believe how bad he was with cars -- his passion and ferver... So on the advice of our trainer last Sunday we started him on e-collar and the results are stunning!
Before I go further, I must say a couple of things:
- trainer tried 18 on us and said that most likely we'll start with 40 with him and then go down to 25 -- he jumped and responded at 10 and this is where we left it!
- he has excellent nerves and responds very well to everything, while being super sensitive..
- we said from the beginning we will only use with cars and not for other training (I am speaking specifically about our dog, given that he is very sensitive and very attuned to us), but we were struck and humbled by how powerful it is with him -- how he was reacting even to seeing it after 2 small nicks..
Since Sunday's two nicks, it was one nick a wall and he showed up he knew he shouldn't have.. For two days already, there was no need for nicking..
He now knows he is in control and it's ONLY the cars and bicyclists (which is critcally important as when he experienced the nick he started checking with me on other things on the walk, other dogs, rolling in the grass, etc. till he knew exactly! It was so painful to watch and I'm so glad he saw soon that it's all reasonable and not unreasonable).
Walking now is just a joy (even though we continue to be on our toes and this will continue for quite a bit till he forgets he did it (which I know will be a while as his memory is very good).
In addition two things:
- he is visibly relieved himself that he doens't have to do it -- I can see it quite clearly in him! and also,
- both my husband and I can see that he enjoys so much more listening and following the cues, it's as if like a teenager he is relieved that his parents are in control and not so dumb as he thought -- clearly he respects us much more!
And like I said we do take this power very seriously and use it for the good and only in relationship to life and dealth situations -- for us it was car lunging, all the rest we can and do manage..
Thought I needed to share with you all wonderful people in the hope it can help someone else!
Xargos Vom Haus Tyson (born Sep., 27, 2008)
LoveBug, a brown-with-white Siberian cat, the kindest cat on earth (born Oct.27,2007)
Tiger, a red Siberian cat (born Aug.8,2008) -- Lovebug's best friend
Pumpkin, an outdoor cat