Car lunging -- Update - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Car lunging -- Update

I've posted several times, and we DID try everything over the period of nearly 4+ months (Xargos is 7 months now) --even our private trainer couldn't believe how bad he was with cars -- his passion and ferver... So on the advice of our trainer last Sunday we started him on e-collar and the results are stunning!

Before I go further, I must say a couple of things:
- trainer tried 18 on us and said that most likely we'll start with 40 with him and then go down to 25 -- he jumped and responded at 10 and this is where we left it!
- he has excellent nerves and responds very well to everything, while being super sensitive..
- we said from the beginning we will only use with cars and not for other training (I am speaking specifically about our dog, given that he is very sensitive and very attuned to us), but we were struck and humbled by how powerful it is with him -- how he was reacting even to seeing it after 2 small nicks..

Since Sunday's two nicks, it was one nick a wall and he showed up he knew he shouldn't have.. For two days already, there was no need for nicking..

He now knows he is in control and it's ONLY the cars and bicyclists (which is critcally important as when he experienced the nick he started checking with me on other things on the walk, other dogs, rolling in the grass, etc. till he knew exactly! It was so painful to watch and I'm so glad he saw soon that it's all reasonable and not unreasonable).

Walking now is just a joy (even though we continue to be on our toes and this will continue for quite a bit till he forgets he did it (which I know will be a while as his memory is very good).

In addition two things:
- he is visibly relieved himself that he doens't have to do it -- I can see it quite clearly in him! and also,
- both my husband and I can see that he enjoys so much more listening and following the cues, it's as if like a teenager he is relieved that his parents are in control and not so dumb as he thought -- clearly he respects us much more!

And like I said we do take this power very seriously and use it for the good and only in relationship to life and dealth situations -- for us it was car lunging, all the rest we can and do manage..

Thought I needed to share with you all wonderful people in the hope it can help someone else!

Tanya

Xargos Vom Haus Tyson (born Sep., 27, 2008)
LoveBug, a brown-with-white Siberian cat, the kindest cat on earth (born Oct.27,2007)
Tiger, a red Siberian cat (born Aug.8,2008) -- Lovebug's best friend
Pumpkin, an outdoor cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Car lunging -- Update

YAY! I faced car lunging issues as well and they are scary. Glad you found what worked.

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Knighted Member

Tanya,

I am sorry to ask this stupid question, Do you mean an electric colar? What is a nick?
I am having problems with Bella charging our fence and barking madly at our neighbors. They are really getting mad.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Not stupid at all!

Yes, I mean an electic collar! We bought Dogtra 200 Gold and it has three settings -- continious, nick and pager.

Nick is just a single charge discharge, pager is pure vibration... With Xargos we already had a case when the collar was turned of, but he heard the click of the remote (you won't hear it) and he would stop and look at me -- amazing!

And yes, "elimation" behavior (when you want them to stop something) like charging fence or stop barking will work! Just decide what the big issue is and don't use it only on these ones..

Our trainer says that dogs respond very well, except for those with weak nerves or off the chart drive..

Regards,
Tanya

LoveBug, a brown-with-white Siberian cat, the kindest cat on earth (born Oct.27,2007)
Pumpkin, an outdoor cat
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Knighted Member

Someone suggested an e-colar to me, but I have no idea how they work. So this is remote control and what about if it is raining out or if dog goes in a pool? I don't want to hurt her and this is my faer. Just need her to ignore the neighbors. thanks for the name and info I will check into it as a last resort.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Master Member

Good to hear that Xargos is getting over his car chasing. As you know I had the same problem with Juli his sister from previous litter who is almost 16 months old now. She has stopped chasing cars now but I am always on the watch in case she has a relapse into her old behavior. The only time she is more sensitive and looks at cars like she might lunge is around our house, maybe a territorial thing. When I walk her on the sidewalk she ignores passing cars.
She is still a bit reactive towards dogs so I am working on that now. She barks at them but if she gets close to them she is very playful and friendly. Sometimes her barking seems to be out of frustration that she cannot get closer when on leash. I am trying to improve her focus on me instead of the dogs but it is tough when she is locked on another dog in the distance as we approach.
I know a lot of people use e-collar in training so it is an effective tool. I haven't tried it yet. The advantage seems to be when a dog is off leash or at a distance you can apply a correction from a distance. I use a prong collar for correction and she is usually on leash so that works for me for now.

Glenn

Qadira vom Haus Tyson 01/29/08
Call name: Juli
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Heidi,
The model we have has the water proof collar and the water resistant remote (which makes it safe for the dog in the pool and ok for the handler who is not in the pool). More expensive model makes even control water proof. These are designed primarily for hunting, so weatherproofing is a must! Also, they work within a mile's radius for the same purpose..

Glenn,
Same thing here -- Xargos is alwayls on the leash and we are working on the recall in the normal way! We are not planning to use it as a crutch for training (I'm only talking about my dog, not dogs in general) With cars, however, I think it's worth making it as fool-proof as possible even though I don't think I'll ever be able to trust Xargos with cars having seen the power of his emotions over them..

Let me know if you even would want to try our e-collar to see if it works..

Tanya

Pumpkin, an outdoor cat
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Knighted Member

Thanks Tanya, were did you buy: Dogtra 200 Gold

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

The best price we found was at http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com.

Moreover, they send us a coupon for $5 for one friend -- if interested, please send me a pm and I'll send it to you as it will only work once.

We are very happy with them -- price and they shipped FedEx which arrived Saturday (we ordered Sunday and were using a loaner from our trainer this week).

Also, this collar is for "a small dog" and comes with small prongs. Our trainer recommended to buy separately 1 inch prongs and replace the original ones (they are about $15 with shipping from a different site) -- this way your collar doesn't have to be too close to the skin -- the prongs will reach the skin nicely..

It was such a good thing for us! Not just with the car lunging but in general, it got his attention and he is such a happy dog (he was happy before but now he is a settled and comforted teenager : )

Regards,
Tanya

Pumpkin, an outdoor cat
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Heidi W's problem is kind of the same as mine when a person was painting our nextdoor-neighbours Wall for her sasha went on the deck and started using a protective bark

GermanShepherds Are The World.

Pets:

2 Cats Called Vickey And Bobby - 15 Years Old
1 Germanshepherd Called Sasha - 17 Weeks Old

Got Out GSD:23/1/09

Websites:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page