Dual Purpose training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Dual Purpose training?

Is it feasable to train a dog to be a PPD and a Show dog? I would like to show off my GSD and also know that he cna protect my family while I am away. Being in the military we worry alot about safety of our families just becasue of who we are and what it is that we do. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Death before dismount

Zeus~~ March 23 2009

At the Bridge

Sampson (GSD)~~ March 1995 ~~ March 2009
JAX (ACD / LAB)~~ Nov 2009 ~~ March 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Dual Purpose training?

As a military wife and former Reservist, I would not rely on my dogs to protect me. I know that Ronja, at least, could and most likely would protect me, but I feel that it is not their job. It's their job to warn me should someone be on our property, and it's my job to be aware of my surroundings and also to protect my dogs.

IMHO, in more cases than not, having a shotgun in the house is much better protection than your dog could ever be, and it also does not require you to put your dog(s) in danger. Any intruder understands the sound of a shotgun.

Just my opinion.

As far as training goes, I don't see why you couldn't show your PPD in conformation, as long as the dog won't try to be aggressive toward the judges approaching and handling them, since that will get you dismissed.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 02:48 AM

Aloha, the beauty of a breed like a GSD is that 90% of perp's would be afraid and go to another victim. The GSD would give you early warning, much earlier than the human can determine and give you more time to plan the proper defense strategy. (going to the neighbors, yelling, grabbing the gun, jumping in your car, etc.)

I understand the natural tendency of the GSD is to defense snarl/bark in danger, but whether the dog steps up to a PPD quality, is a dog by dog and a lot of training that I don't think is worth it and makes the dog "expendable".

I am sorry to hear that some people in your area do not respect and appreciate the service you are giving our country, regardless of your Military Duties.
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Master Member

Own a true PPD and Show dog? Hard call.

If your dog has the drive at least start with the schutzhund training even though a sport dog is still different from a PPD the thought that if your wife is in a dodgy situation and can turn the dog off and on will give her piece of mind and at least make anybody from a distance think twice.
I have used my Hella in a few situations to warn people not to get to close that they were making me uncomfortable and it worked.

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

I never planned on making my dog expendable, it's just that my wife is not so much of a fire arms person. She refuses to learn to fire a pistol let alone a shotgun. The dog would be a first line (unfortunately) so that my wife might be able to get herself and our son out of the way. Here in a few months I might aquire a M4 Carbine and teach her to use that. She might actually like it who knows. But let it be known that I would NEVER intentionally make my dog a front line defense. I just need to know that if the need is there that he will act on their behalf while I am away.

Death before dismount

Zeus~~ March 23 2009

At the Bridge

Sampson (GSD)~~ March 1995 ~~ March 2009
JAX (ACD / LAB)~~ Nov 2009 ~~ March 2009
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

One of the very reasons I own GSD's is because of their reputation and look. I'm with the others that just KNOWING there is a GSD in the house, most potential 'bad guys' aren't going to bother. Just go down the street to the house with the cat!

So instead I train my GSD to be socialized and balanced. So they allow everyone I want into the house, welcoming and greeting in a calm happy way. This way they get to learn what a normal guest looks like and how they behave. As well as how WE behave in this situation. So when something is 'wrong' and we act differently in a situation, so will our dogs...............Not saying this makes our dogs trained protection dogs, but it makes them great pets and members of our lives/family. As well as making strangers cautious.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

I think both Adas and MRL made very good points.

As you know, the majority of crimes such as burglary and rape are crimes of opportunity, and what the people committing them look for are easy targets - homes where nobody is home, open windows, unlocked doors, valuables in plain sight, women who are walking across a dark parking lot alone, people who are not aware of their surroundings.

Having a German Shepherd is likely to work well as a deterrent, even if the dog is not trained to "do" anything at all. Having a German Shepherd and being seen training and working with him in front of the house is even better. Most people will think, "If that dog is so well trained in obedience, what else is he trained to do?" If your dog barks when a car pulls up the driveway or someone comes to the door, even better. All of those are great deterrents to crimes of opportunity, as there are certainly easier targets in your area.

I'm sorry to hear your wife is uncomfortable with firearms. If she has any interest in learning to fire any, maybe having a female friend or colleague show her how and starting her on something that is easy to use (like a revolver) and a caliber that is not painful to shoot would be a way to get her started.

How does your wife feel about pepper spray or any other less-than-lethal defense products?

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MP's GSDIs it feasable to train a dog to be a PPD and a Show dog? I would like to show off my GSD and also know that he can protect my family while I am away. Being in the military we worry alot about safety of our families just becasue of who we are and what it is that we do. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Oh definitely! I was just in a trial today with several dogs that train in Dog Sport and/or ring sport (probably PPD and SchH as well) and also show.

PPD is different than SchH but German show line dogs HAVE to have SchH training in order to get Koer'd (breed survey) and get a V rating. So in a sense, yes "dual purpose" is very common in GSDs, even beyond show and PPD. My female is a show champion and is titled in rally obedience, agility, and dog sport as well as certificates for pet therapy, CGC, herding instinct, and temperament test.

I won't carry firearms either (I have nothing against them or people who do but I just don't care to and it's not up for debate), but I feel safe with my dogs as a visual deterrent. My puppy (who is already a "show dog") is in Schutzhund training. I don't plan on doing any PPD training but just having them as visual deterrence is enough for me.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 03:56 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

It is possible that *A* dog could be trained for PPD and a Show dog, however, until your dog is mature, trained and tested there is no way to know if YOUR dog has what it takes to be a true PPD or has the structure to be a show dog.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page