Aleadership quest - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Aleadership quest

So I have been to classes, and read the books, and post here, and learn new techniques in an effort to live in harmony with the mangies. At present, I am not at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to leadership, but I am not yet where I would like to be (visions of Ceasar or Jan Fennel walking in high grasses with a troop of off-lead dogs having a blast).

I realized that I could not even list the house rules. My pack is pretty good, so they must be there, just not outwardly apparent.

So in an attempt to clarify for myself as well as for them, I made up a list of rules or rather COMMANDMENTS for THEM to follow (phrases and words are the words I use when I am reminding or correcting them):

1. <u>DON'T HURT MY BABY.</u> "My Baby" refers to the dog in question. They are not allowed to do damage to themsevels, excessive licking at bugbites, wounds, etc.; injuring themselves; shaking their heads; running into the unknown (out of the front door) or out of my car.

2. <u> DON'T HURT THE SUSIE. </u> This is really a no-brainer. If they hurt me, then I may not be able to take care of them. Reminders of this commandment are usually made after they plough into me at top speed in their quest for something else. This rule extends to my guests, or anyone I am visiting with in public. Another form of this command is DON'T JUMP ON THE SUSIE, and if time does not permit, simply OFF! is used. (What actually happens is a strangled OFF! command followed by the rebuke, DON'T JUMP ON THE SUSIE! (Obviously, the juveniles and one or two of my more exhuberant adults still need work on this one.)

3. <u>NOW! </u> When I give a clear command, which the HAVE been trained in, i.e. COME, HEEL, DROP IT, LEAVE IT, DOWN, STAY, OFF, QUIET, ENOUGH, then they had better do it RIGHT NOW. The NOW! command is not yelled, but rather given in a gutteral menacing tone, so it is not mistaken by the stream of talking and cannot be overlooked by the offender. This prevents nagging.

4. <u> EH! </u> This simply means stop whatever crazy thing you are doing and look at me for direction. It is ALWAYS followed by a secondary command, such as DROP IT, WAIT, or MINE.

5. <u>NO FIGHTING. </u> This law includes dogs within the pack and strangers. It includes fence fighting, making faces at one another from across the yard, snarling, sticking the tail up and scratching their odor into the other bitch's face, slights in doggy etiquette, and retaliation for these slights are not tolerated.

6. <u>THAT'S NOT YOURS.</u> This is sometimes followed by the exclamation MINE!!! This includes my dinner plate, unless it is set on the floor. This includes the garbage can at all times. This includes doggy items that are NOT currently located on the floor. This includes non-doggy items that ARE currently located on the floor. There will be NO eating, shredding, slobbering, moving, or touching in any way of these items.

For the most part, my lot follows the rules, but we work on the fighting rule quite a bit. Not that they fight quite a bit, just the faces and carrying on by the peanut gallery when another of my dogs is running around the yard.

Anyone want to share their top rules?

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 AM

Re: Aleadership quest

Oh what a great topic!

In no particular order

You may not lunge at and bark at the squirrels and birds in the yard
You may not bark randomly in the yard, if you do you must come in the house
You may not step through a threshold without my permission (car, exterior door etc)
You may not be on the furniture
You may not take things off tables or counters
You may not rough-house upstairs
You may not jump on me
You may not behave like a jackass in dog class or elsewhere
You may not bully your sister off something you want
You may not randomly destroy things you find, you have toys do as you please with them.
You must listen when told to do something you have been well trained to do
If it is wet outside you must wait on the scrap carpet to have your paws wiped with a towel, not my clothes

These are some that we have to keep order in the household!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page