GSP Pooing through the night - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

GSP Pooing through the night

Hello
Please can somebody give me some advice. My lovely little Belle is 7 months old now but we still can't get her to go through the night without weeing and pooing. We have had Belle since she was 14 weeks old and she was a mess. She hadn't been looked after by her owners and was kept in a cage all day long so she had to go to the toilet where she slept. We have managed to train her to go to the toilet on demand outside during the day but we have no sucess at all at night. I am staying up until 12-1am to let her out as late as possible but by 7am when I get up to get ready for the school run, she has been to the toilet on the kitchen floor. I have tried so many methods and we bought training pads which she liked. We moved the pads outside and she would go on them but as soon as the door is shut at night and we go to bed she goes to the toilet on the floor. I don't want to have to rehome her but it is getting me down now so I am desperate for some advice.
Many thanks
Leanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Crowned Member

Re: GSP Pooing through the night

Don't have too much advice but can you tell how long she goes between accidents at night?Also how big of an area does she sleep in?If it is too big she will go and sleep at the other end.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Knighted Member

I would recommend she be properly crate trained so she knows you are being fair. This should stop the issue. Puppy pads are not a good idea. It is confusing to them why they can't poo in the house when you want them to then go outside.

They also need a schedule.

Angeles goes to bed at 9:30 pm (off to his crate - he now asks me to take him to bed - I don't have to force him - he loves schedules) and we get up at 6:00 - 6:15 AM and we go outside. Now that he is older I do allow him out of his crate when I come to bed around 11 PM as he likes to lay next to my bed and then go back to the crate as he wants. I never had issues with the poo/pee in the house (3 accidents when I first got him). But the crate training was the saving grace.

Make sure they have enough room to lay down completely but not so much room in the crate that they can poop / pee in one corner and go lay in the other.

Also, stop the water about an hour or so before going to bed. Then before going to the crate at night take her outside one last time.

I hope this helps.

Robert

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad to:
Angeles von Lobos (pronounced Angelus)
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Knighted Member

One thing I forgot to add on the crate training.

Get her to like a crate and see it as safe by making a "game" out of going in the crate. throw small treats to eat at the door, then inside - make it a fun activity. You will know when she is ready to go in and stay with the door closed. then let her right back out and give her a treat so she knows you will let her out and reward her.

The other, is to feed her in the crate. Make it a place she wants to go to because of food. This way she sees the crate as a safe, fun place to go and stops seeing it as a bad place.

Thanks!

Robert

Robert

Dad to:
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Crowned Member

I hate potty training, but my collie was a PITA, not her fault, she just took longer to mature. Crating helped, schedules helped, but in her situation it was just a matter of time. ROFL I only got 11 reliable years out of her, now she's 13 and we have occasional accidents, but that's the joys of an older dog, just as unreliable bladders and such are the joys of babies and 7 months is still a baby.
Patience, understanding, ignore the accidents ie. dont let her see you clean it up, don't even look at it if you can avoid it, some times it's more psychological in that it's attention, good or bad. Those first few months of her life might take you years to undo. Work with her, it could be as simple as seperation anxiety, you might want to crate in your bedroom so she gets used to being alone, but not really alone if you know what I mean. There's lots of theories and training ideas out there, good luck. We ran the gamut with Sandi until one day I just accepted she wasn't ready to be 100% reliable. She slept in her crate, on the floor beside my bed, I got up during the night when necessary and we slowly worked through it. I won't lie, there were steps forward and falls back, I had her from 8 weeks on, once we established no psychological reason, no physical reason such as pain, we just relegated ourselves to the fact she would mature slower.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 02:04 PM

I cut off feeding at 5 pm and water at 7 pm. She's out on her "poop run" as late as possible and kept in crate overnight without access to water. I'd also recommend to stop using poop-n-pee pads. Have your dog checked for worms/parasites. Clean her crate real good to eliminate as many scent traces of feces as you can. This is about all you can do until dog matures and will hold for extended time.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Knighted Member

you might end up with a 3 AM pee time until the bladder gets used to it or on occasion your dog will need to go out (sometimes I have to get up and pee at night - it happens!)

But that became the exception with Angeles. In fact what I've been able to do is baby gate off my bedroom and put water in the room because he does get thirsty in the middle of the night (as do I - maybe he copying me???). When I go to bed I open his crate and he can come out if he wants. I never have to worry about an alarm clock - he lets me know its time to get up. He is almost like clockwork!

Also, the idea of checking for parasites is an excellent idea ron. The intestinal track, if irritated may take some time to heal - flagyl can help with that as well as get rid of the nastier coccidia and girradia that sometimes our babes get from being around other dog pee and poop (like Petsmart, Petco, just walking them down the street).

I did have some time when Angeles, as he was going through growth spurts, that he needed to have some food in the middle of the night. Since I have acid reflux I completely understand how if you get hungry and the acid starts that can really be a horrible thing - and only water and some food helps me quickly. So during that time he was allowed some midnight snacking. I must kind of listen to him by watching.

Robert

Dad to:
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Banned

i'm not sure how rehoming is an option. rehoming as opposed to fixing the problem. does that sound right "my dog is pooping
during the night so i'll rehome her".

if it were my dog i would crate her at night. in the begining
of the crate training i would let her out every few hours
through the night. at 7 months old she should be able
to hold it through the night.

i would start my dog off slowly with the crate training.
several times a day i would crate my dog for 10 to 15 minutes.
as time went on i would increase the crate time.

i'm thinking maybe because your dog is 7 months old once you
crate her at night she might instantly stop the pooing
during the night.
crate training.
Quote:
Originally Posted By: bellelambertHello
Please can somebody give me some advice. My lovely little Belle is 7 months old now but we still can't get her to go through the night without weeing and pooing. We have had Belle since she was 14 weeks old and she was a mess. She hadn't been looked after by her owners and was kept in a cage all day long so she had to go to the toilet where she slept. We have managed to train her to go to the toilet on demand outside during the day but we have no sucess at all at night. I am staying up until 12-1am to let her out as late as possible but by 7am when I get up to get ready for the school run, she has been to the toilet on the kitchen floor. I have tried so many methods and we bought training pads which she liked. We moved the pads outside and she would go on them but as soon as the door is shut at night and we go to bed she goes to the toilet on the floor. I don't want to have to rehome her but it is getting me down now so I am desperate for some advice.
Many thanks
Leanne
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Knighted Member

Pups who were confined from a young age can be a problem. I see it a lot in puppy store dogs. They simply learn that it's ok to soil where they sleep, because that is their only option.
So now you have to teach her a new trick.
First of all, make sure she doesn't have any parasites or a urinary tract infection. (some young females can have minor infections that can wreak havoc on house training)
If she's clear of med. issues, then every time she goes outside to do her business, give her the best treat she has ever had. Make a huge deal out of it, and make sure she only gets that treat when she goes outside.
Get rid of the pads.
Make sure she doesn't have any bedding in her crate during this time. (Even pet shop dogs can usually pee between the grate in their cage. Most dogs learn very quickly that they don't like to lay where they soil. Bedding will absorb any messes, and make it ok for the pup to continue.)
Absolutely cut off food and water before bed, but only after you have had her checked by your vet. There are some congenital problems that can cause an excess of water intake.

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Crowned Member

I'm wondering if it isn't what you are feeding, or some other problem. At 7 months, I would think she should be able to hold it from 12-7. I haven't read all the posts, but have you tried a short walk before bedtime to get the bowels moving before you go inside and sleep?

What are you feeding?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page