To those who clicker train: recommend some books! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

To those who clicker train: recommend some books!

I hear the name Karen Pryor attached to the forefront of this clicker training movement. Also, I see "Click to Calm" on every clicker training site. Is this a good starting point? Are there better books/trainers? Where should I begin? I know I can watch endless youtube videos, but I would like some books too.

Should I just get every book by Karen Pryor? She has a lot of them listed on amazon.com. Do you recommend one of her books over the rest of them? Or maybe the best 3?

Please help point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Crowned Member

Re: To those who clicker train: recommend some books!

You can find a lot of information just on her web page. That's how I learned.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Crowned Member

I think Don't Shoot the Dog! is really all you'd need to get started. I didn't even finish it, it was light a lightbulb went off and I "got" it (I was one of those that somehow thought the clicker itself was a command). There are other books that apply clicker training to different behaviors and situations (like Click to Calm).

I think the most important things with clicker training are 1) timing!! and 2) understand what you are clicking and why (ie, how to shape and chain behaviors in order to get to the end result).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

For information about training the basics (sit, down, stay, etc.) with the clicker, Gerilyn Bielakiewitcz's (I hope I spelled that right) "The Only Dog Training Book You'll Ever Need" is a fun little book. She did a second, "The Only Dog Trick Book You'll Ever Need" that I really like. It breaks down the behaviors pretty well and tells you how to teach them step-by-step.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

I'd say Karen Pryor's <u>Don't Shoot the Dog</u> is the best place to start. I don't have too many 'just clicker training' books on my shelf though I do have <u>The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training</u> and <u>The Power of Positive Dog Training</u> by Pat Miller. I haven't read the <u>Idiot's Guide</u> in almost three years and I read it before I ever picked up a clicker. Pat Miller's book is very much a step-by-step guide to using the clicker to train a dog.

Most of the books I have are either general dog books (eg. <u>Bones Would Rain from the Sky</u>, <u>The Other End of the Leash</u>), training for specific activities, or 'problem' dog books. I do have <u>Click to Calm</u> by Emma Parsons though I have yet to read it.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Murphy-Elperroguapo<u>The Power of Positive Dog Training</u> by Pat Miller. Pat Miller's book is very much a step-by-step guide to using the clicker to train a dog.
GREAT!!! I picked this up several weeks ago but haven't had time to read it yet. I'm bringing it to the hospital Friday during Dad's surgery. Glad I made a good choice.

Chris, I picked those two up yesterday based on your recommendations when you e-mailed me. I've got quite a bit of spring reading now!!!

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie CGC, TD, TT, PT
DOB 1/19/2006
Into our house and hearts 3/18/2006
Her last breath 2/21/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page