Athena's Home Trainer experience - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Athena's Home Trainer experience

OK so for those who have read of Athena's dog aggression here is our new plan.I hope to keep you all updated in hope of helping out others as we go along.To sum up her problem she hates other dogs except her Lexi.I took her to one trainer who wanted to do a board and train for 3 weeks.I was OK with it till I left him worried.His only method of evaluation was to put her in front of a mirror and watch her flip out and tell me she was a bad case.NO sh*t..So for $1200.00 I could leave her and he would train her, then me.He neglected to elaborate on his methods other than constant interaction with other dogs and would work on advanced obedience.Ok fine what does your facility look like?Oh it's muddy so when you bring her back I'll show you.UH NO.So I came home and got on here to ask my friends,they all said NO WAY.I contacted another trainer up here, he said no way.I set up an appointment with him.Well today we met and I like his approach I think.First we have to keep her away from dogs till next visit in 2 weeks.Yuck but I can do it.That means no walks on our road,no playing freely outside unless I can get the neighbor to put her dogs in,which I nicely hinted to her in an email.We need to do focusing work and reinforce and tweek basic obedience.The main exercise she gets is good but of course she needs a job,he suggested scent tracking.I also have to get a Kong and possibly a food cube thing to exercise her brain and a food pouch for the focus work.She also has to work for her food in AM and PM and if she doesn't do what I ask after 30 sec I have to pick it up and wait till next feeding.That will kill me because after a week of no good food and now she is eating all I give her, I don't want to hold back food.So to establish pack order I have to make them stay off the couches and I have to pick up there toys and hand out what I want them to play with.Also because she has a lot of anxiety he doesn't want her barking and jumping at the door when someone knocks so we have to work on a different command for her to do if she hears a knock.His example was to have her sit when she hears a knock.When we go out instead of always having her sit and stay till I release he wants me to mix it up and make her down and stay.He gave me a few papers with Stress Indicators to watch for.As the 2 weeks go on we should start to see a more relaxed,less stressed dog.I guess it boils down to not having the pack order established yet so she is not knowing which way to go.Hopefully her stomach issues will lessen as we get the pack order established.That's all I can think of right now.Any questions about this bring them on.Thanks for listening and I hope I can help others as we go through this process.Wish us luck.

Moderators I hope I placed this in the correct forum.I wasn't sure if it would fit here or in the how to train section.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Athena's Home Trainer experience

Allie I agree with the pack order the food thing confuses me
let me think about it.
I am glad you enjoyed your first training session

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

OK, I like the trainer you will be working with and so glad you walked away from the first trainer.

Digestive issues maybe related to stress, so if you can lower the stress hopefully you will see an improvment in the digestive issues.

I like that this trainer gave you homework to do.

Ask you neighbor if she could be a help to you while you are working with a trainer to help Athena get over her problems by having maybe a schedule for a little while when your dog can be out and when her's can be out. Asking for her help will hopefully get you a better response than some thing more demanding.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dawn,
The food thing is basically she ahs to work to get fed.She has to sit or down what ever command I give and if she doesn't do it w/in 30 sec she looses.I emailed Ron to see what he said about what I learned today.I think I for got the food thing but I have been told that by many that they need to work for it to get it.I was just too lazy to enforce it.

Val,
I will discuss it with my neighbor.If she is home she will most likely be fine with it or she'll tell me to put them in when I want to play with Athena.She works all day so I'm sure I can just put them in the house during the week for an hour or so.It will be a pain, but if it help I'm there for it.I do have a pen to play in but playing ball won't be fun in a 20X20 pen.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Crowned Member

Allie I understand that I am concerned cause what she has been going through that is all.
I agree with Val and talking to you neighbor about setting up a schedule.

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ok I understand your not understanding now.I will just make her sit and stay till I tell her OK.I try to do that anyway but sometimes I just need to feed her and move on to something else.Hopefully once we get her less stressed she will not be having these stomach issues.I'll talk to her,I'm sure I can put then inside for an hour or so a day to play ball outside.I'll start hiding things in the pen to make her find too.I just have to get some stuff.Any ideas anyone?

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

I will definitely be watching your posts as you progress, my pup has the same issues your going through. Thanks for posting!

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Michelle,
How old is he?You may not want to do group obedience classes then.What is he doing and when?Has he always been this way or is it new?You might be better off checking out a private trainer depending on your answers to these questions.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I need ideas for things to hide in her pen to entertain her till I figure out where we can go for walks w/o dogs.One thing the neighbor thought up was if we could put a tarp on the side of the pen to cover her dogs.I'll have to run that by Hubby and the Trainer.
I just bought them Kongs and the filling and training treats.The store in town didn't have the treat bag I need.I'll rig something up till I get one.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Master Member

The everlasting treat ball is great if Athena loves food. I usually put kibble in mine and I have heard of people putting a large portion of their dog's meal in it.

UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy

Foxy 8/13/12 (Gotcha Day -- 1.5 year old at adoption)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page