Take it? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Crickets_ma
Take it?

Hello everyone, I would like to teach my girls to take something and hold it in their mouths until I ask for it, or to put it where it belongs. I am clicker training and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Elite Member

Re: Take it?

Well, for starters, every time you give your dog a treat or some hand to mouth food, you can say "take it" so they learn what this means.

One day I sat down w/a bowl of treats, made my female sit in front of me. Just kept handing her the treats and clicked when she did I said "take it!" and praise her. She caught on in like 5-10 minutes.

Now, that's a treat ... it's not so easy when I try something non-treat when it comes to my two. She's VERY picky what she will take from me or anyone else for that matter. Anyway, once she had the idea, I switched to using her kong as a treat substitute and working in the same fashion. I switched back and forth kong/treat for awhile until she'd start taking just the kong.

I try to remember to say "take it" any time I hand them something.

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
German Shepherd Dog Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Take it?

If you can find a book by Lana Mitchell called "The Clicked Retriever" (I think that's the right name) it will help you out tremendously. It's based on +R methods and is an excellent way to teach a dog to hold/retrieve without using force.

I'm very glad to hear that you're using clicker methods. Unfortunately the forced fetch (ear pinch) method is still very popular with competitive obedience people. They see nothing wrong in pinching their dog's ear in order to correct a retrieve. Some day I hope that all aspects of dog training will evolve from the caveman methods.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page