Citronella collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Citronella collar

Help! I need some advice as I'm not convinced that this is the right thing to do.

I'm having a problem with Dakota's come during obiedience classes. When she is coming towards me and there is a person standing partway she comes without a problem.

As dog distractions are being added I'm haviing a problem. She will run towards me, change her mind and run towards the dog that is standing closest to me. I was instructed to move closer and call her, with success, but there was not a dog immediately to my right. I swear she has ADD.

She did this once in Level 2 and she did it again last week in Level 3. The instructor said that she would like to try a citronella collar as she needs to learn that these deviations are not acceptable.

Any experiences/advice?

I did see the instructor use the citronella collar on a dog that would not stop barking after many attempts to quiet the dog. One squirt and it worked without any bad effects on the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Citronella collar

If your instructor has experience with using it and you have a certain comfort level with it, then it sounds like it would be worth a try.

Another option, what we have used with some dogs in the classes I assist in is a flexi leash and/or a long line. I am not a fan of flexi leashes, but this is the one thing where I have seen it used effectively.

If you have to buy the collar, try the long line first IMO.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Re: Citronella collar

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Everett54If your instructor has experience with using it and you have a certain comfort level with it, then it sounds like it would be worth a try.

Another option, what we have used with some dogs in the classes I assist in is a flexi leash and/or a long line. I am not a fan of flexi leashes, but this is the one thing where I have seen it used effectively.

If you have to buy the collar, try the long line first IMO.
Yes I have confidence in the trainer. I do not have to buy the collar, the trainer has one. What I really need is to stay after class with a few of the solid dogs to practice this a few times. I may suggest that to her now that I'm thinking about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page