3 Behavior Modes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

3 Behavior Modes

Aloha everyone. It has been 5 1/2 months since I rescued Rasa and bonding/trust building is still going on, but leveling off. For our life styles I am implementing 3 behavior modes with Rasa.

1: "Leash" mode. She has to behave properly, in stores, in traffic, around close encounters with other dogs, humans. This she is pretty good at doing.

2: "Close" mode. Off leash, but she has to stay close by my side and has to listen to my commands.

3: "Liberty" mode. Rasa is allowed to lag behind, smell all she wants, chase prey when she feels like it, visit other dogs, etc. (there are no car dangers)

I am clearly marking these three modes with the particular name (leash, close, liberty) and having her sit in between modes. It seems that Rasa understands fairness and is much more willing to be in the "Close" mode and behave as long as she knows there is a "Liberty" mode as well. Of course the "close" mode is the one that needs all the training now!

What do you guys think of this approach?
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 05:09 PM

Re: 3 Behavior Modes

Seems like a good idea to me. How are you getting her to understand what each mode means and when they are in that mode? Just curious, I would like to try some variation of that.

M&M

Miko - German Shepherd (2/11/09)
Max - Pomeranian Mix Rescue (8/8/1997)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Aloha, George. I set myself up for success, (we are just starting this Mode method). By success, I know where the areas where cats, mongooses, exciting smells are, etc. and go into the "liberty mode" before we get to that area. I make myself all excited and try to keep a distance from Rasa. If Rasa comes to my side and tends to stay there, I good girl her and say Close, good girl, etc. I try to define the modes by stopping and assigning the mode. That way the mode (what is expected of Rasa) is defined and I hope Rasa becomes to understand it is NECESSARY to act properly in that mode. (the reward is when we get to a high distraction area, I allow her to go into Liberty mode.) This method is still evolving as I just started it.

The one success I had today was an area of the back street where truck drivers party after work on a friday nite. You see beer bottles and most importantly plate lunches with pork bones, discarded meat, etc. Rasa was in the Close mode when we went by this area and although I had to "close, good girl, stay, good girl-close" several times for the 1/2 block and Rasa had her head turned toward the discarded food the whole time, she did not "break formation". When past that area, I stopped and gave her Liberty and she wandered off a bit and checked out smells, etc.

The Close mode has lots of commands, leave it, turn left turn right, no Visit, Visit, Stay here, etc. etc. The Liberty mode has basically only a couple commands "come here, go get 'em" all done with excitement. Like I say, it is evolving and developing,,,hoping to get some good suggestions, advice here.

frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

What a great idea!

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 PM

I try to do the same thing with my pomeranian, but he's not exactly the sharpest dog haha. I'll see how this works out. I think it's a good idea though, and will try that with my pup.

M&M

Miko - German Shepherd (2/11/09)
Max - Pomeranian Mix Rescue (8/8/1997)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 PM

Im diffidently gonna try this out with my GSD. When I take her out to run she thinks she has to stay right by my ( close mode as you would call it) and if I could teach her the difference between them it would make things way easier for me and she would know when she could run cause I sometimes walk her without a leash and she doesnt understand when she can leave me.

Bams profile::[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page