Need Ideas - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Need Ideas

I'm starting level 3 of obiedience tomorrow night. I've been working hard the last three weeks on areas that we needed to improve on.

At the end of level 2 the instructor said we are going to be working on getting the dog to do something without speaking to the dog. Not sure if we could use hand signals or not, but I don't think so. This sounds like a fun exercise. She gave an example of everytime you reach for a door handle that the dog sits. I guess that you would praise and treat for the sit everytime you touch the handle and evenually the dog clues in.

I've thought of:

- sitting and extending her head everytime I get her car harness out (she may not like working on this as she asociates this with a trip in the car)

-going to the front door and sitting when the door bell rings (I need helpers for this one and they are hard to come by)

- doing a down/stay while I getting her food ready (already does this)

-snapping my fingers for a sit (already knows this one)

-going to her kennel when I turn out the family room light for the night.

That's the end of my ideas. I'm sure there are lots of fun and usefull ideas on this board. Love to hear them.

We are also going to be working on targeting - but I've been doing that for a while now, thanks to this board where I saw a youtube video on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 10:11 PM

Re: Need Ideas

My dogs have learned to stop and sit at street corners. I like this one since it has safetly implications as well.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Banned

I started with a verbal command and subsequently a hand signal. Timber is now three, but could relate to hand signals, without a verbal command a few years ago.

Try it, worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:47 PM

I do the stop and sit at street corners. I just started two weeks ago but she getting it. If she doesnt do it right away I just stand and wait till she does then give her a treat and cross. She also knows sit, stay, down, come, up, and hug without verbal commands. Ive noticed most of the time she wont do any of them without hand signals. My boyfriend was trying to get her to sit the other day. He was saying it and putting his hand up in a fist ( and I have my hang open) . She wouldnt do it till he opened his hand lol.

Umm other ideas. Im trying to teach Bam to put her toys back in their box and when I say go for a walk I woudnt put her leash on till she sits by the door nicely.

Thats all I can think of for now but I will try to get more ideas for you.

Bams profile::[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page