Training was perfect not so much now - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Training was perfect not so much now

Okay- Aspen was doing so good with her training- we could put her into a stay and walk across our huge yard and she wouldnt move until this week. Now, you put her in a sit and and tell her stay and she automatically runs away??? She has never had a negative experience with her training because she is so obediant so I can not imagine that she is scared but you say the word stay and she runs. Not sure what to do now?? Ps- she turns 4 months Thursday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:10 PM

Re: Training was perfect not so much now

Sounds like she is testing her boundaries. It will just take patience and persistence to work through. Taking her for a vigorous walk beforehand might help her to be more calm during training.

Owner to Minerva - 2yo uber pup & Zelda - 13 pounds of feline fury!

"The more I see of man, the more I like dogs." ~Mme. de Staël
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Master Member

I think they go through phases when they are determinded to NOT listen. Other things are just FAR more fun in their minds. Kiah also has her moment. So I guess we have to make it fun for them and tire them out beforehand.

Jackie
Northwest Territories, CANADA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 PM

I feel for you. We made it through about 5 private lessons and Timber did great, especially for his age (5 1/2 months now). Then one day, BAM, he didn't want to do anything. Just "do de do", looks around at everything BUT me. Won't do things he did before. Gets irritated and bites at my hands. My trainer said to take 2 weeks off and let him be a puppy for a bit and then we'll dig back in. He keeps telling me we're doing great and not to be discouraged, because he's still a baby. I was very discouraged last week and actually wound up balling after a quick practice session. Who's the baby now? Anyway, we'll see how it goes in a couple of weeks. I know he'll be fine. He's just such a big boy, already 60 lbs., that I have to keep reminding myself that he's still just a little guy.

~~Cindy

Sasha - Black and tan female (02/12/98)
Ally - Sable female (08/29/01)
Kellan von dem Waldkonig - Bi-color male (10/02/09)
Timber - (10/14/08 - 08/27/09) We will always love you! Thank you for choosing us.
Spencer (RIP sweet boy)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

How strange but I guess I am glad she didnt go backwards on potty training!! Glad I am not the only one!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Banned

your dog is only 4 months old. i've never trained a dog before they were 4 months old. if my dog was that young and stopped staying
i would stop working on stay for a few days. maybe she's bored with it. once i started working on stay again i would tell
my dog to stay but only for 10 seconds or so. i also walk a few feet away remaining visible.

then i would slowly increase the distance between. then i would have my dog stay and i would go and hide for a 10 seconds or so.
i would retrain the action/command.

maybe you should throw in some distractions. this will make
it harder for her but maybe she won't find it so boring, if
indeed she is bored with it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

That was exactly how I taught her and I even had my 4 kids go outside and play while I put her in a stay for distractions and she did great. I was totally amazed at her obediance and actually what she is doing now is what I had expected of her at the beginning but when she learned it I was stumped at this reation to it. I did notice this behavior started when I started to walk behind her in a circle while she was in a stay. Before I was just in front of her even if it is far way but she did not like me going behind her at all and now just doesnt want to do it at all.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 AM
Master Member

You have to expect back slides from a 4 month old puppy! What is the amount of time you usually expect her to stay?

At 4 months old, pups in my classes are usually just working on down and stay at the end of a leash for a few seconds maybe.

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

She's a young puppy, frankly I'm amazed she was staying more than a few seconds while you moved away at all! Shows she's got it in her, but we need to remember not to push training with going to far too fast.

The #1 thing to train in a puppy is to have them think training is FUN FUN FUN! Listening to us and learning the new 'whatever' needs to be a blast. So it is NOT about teaching any specific behavior in the beginning (like 'sit' or 'down'). That should NOT be a good trainer's initial goal.

Instead, we need to teach that being with us, learning from us, figuring out what we are trying to ask is worth while and fun. So teaching our puppies to be MOTIVATED is the goal.

Once we teach them that learning is fun fun fun, then all the rest is so much easier cause they are 'in the game' so to speak (and not running off for something way more fun than a long boring 'stay' ).

So it's important for us to do fun and fast 'behaviors' with fun and fast 'releases'. If our pups aren't getting something, it's not their fault. We need to just be more clever trainers to figure out how to get them to LOVE the training again to be back in for the learning.

Puppies shouldn't be obeying cause they 'have' to, instead they should be learning cause they WANT to. Big difference.

Using tons of teeny treats. Extremely short training sessions thru out the day are way better than one 10 minute session a day. Toys in the training. Staying close in all early training so you can see the glint in their eye cause they are still learning, or the boredom/confusion which means you went too fast or the training session was too long.

CLICKER TRAINING is the best for puppies at this stage cause the training forces 'us' (hm, the problem part of most training ) to remember to mark the behavior and REWARD with a real reward (which praise is NOT).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC367wKGi4M

http://www.revver.com/video/788654/c...rick-training/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icblVpvEvcA

http://www.extendedyears.com/behavior/50006.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BAj0...eature=related

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 11:38 AM

Sum,

In the beginning, my obedience trainer had me scratch behind his left ear as you are going around the back in a stay. It helps distract them and gives them something enjoyable to think about instead. That way, after awhile, they realize you moving behind them isn't a bad thing. It works for me anyway.

~~Cindy

Sasha - Black and tan female (02/12/98)
Ally - Sable female (08/29/01)
Kellan von dem Waldkonig - Bi-color male (10/02/09)
Timber - (10/14/08 - 08/27/09) We will always love you! Thank you for choosing us.
Spencer (RIP sweet boy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page