Need advice training Ace. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Need advice training Ace.

Well as all of you know we have decided to keep ace and work on his training. So i need all the help i can get.

We just got back from a walk (just him) and pepperoni treats. He did so wonderful, he was a total different dog. He walked great in his harness, anytime he wanted to start baring at something i just called his name and kept his mind off of it. We are teaching sit everytime we stop at a crosswalk. He has that one down pat (when we don't have the other dogs). The only time he got uncontrobally out of hand was a 1/2 block away from home. THere is a golden in a fenced yard that barks and runs the fence anytime it sees or hears anything. Well we decided to take ace to the road that way he wasn't right next to the fence, didn't work i could not get his attention, my hubby literally had to basically drag him down the road. So obviously that one needs more work. But as far as today goes he did real good...I am one proud mama.

Now qusetion. Should i be concerned that he is not walking right by my side, or should i allow him the slack so he can smell and what not?
Also when do you think i could start introducing the other dogs. I have 1 more shepherd, and a female dachshund. Oh and my other shepherd always wants to be out in front and he will whine none stop if he isn't, should i allow him to be out front?

Andrea.....

Love all my kids 2 and 4 legged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Need advice training Ace.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: amd1Now qusetion. Should i be concerned that he is not walking right by my side, or should i allow him the slack so he can smell and what not?
Personally I would train him to be at your side; that's what I do with my boys. Of course a walk has to be a little fun and you have to let him be a dog so every so often allow him to 'sniff the flowers' but you decide when he wants to.

Riggs is notorious for try to go sniff something with a sudden jerk on the leash but I alway bring him back right away. Its my way of saying "I'll let you know when you can sniff something"

We actually just finished a 45 minute walk individually (1.5 hours for me ) and they did real well. I would turn frequently and do circles; this makes them stay back to see where I will go next instead of them being ahead not paying attention.

• Thor & Riggs Brothers to the end. 24 May 2005 - 17 Jan 2017
  • Misha-9 yr Calico kitty, Mischief-9 yr tabby hellion (littermates)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Banned

Smells are fine, but dragging him down the road is not good. Try a small pronged collar, tight and high upon the neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:38 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

When I'm going on a 'walk' I don't keep my dogs at an official 'heeling by my side' position. Walking should be fun and relaxing for BOTH of us, for me to have a rigid exact position by my side isn't adding to either of our good times.

Sniffing and smelling are normal dog things and a 'calming signal' they can use to relax if allowed. http://www.canis.no/rugaas/

Key for helping our over-reactive dogs is to try to get and keep their attention BEFORE they react. Cause, as you and your husband noticed, it's alot harder afterwards.

Have you thought of using a head halter for your dogs. Works great in your situation to turn the dogs head back towards you (where you can reward) and away from whatever is bothering them. Puts you more in the picture to train, not something to be fought against and pulled against.

Think most people like the Gentle Leader (click here) a really good description on how it works and why is http://www.aopclick.com/GL_head_collar.htm

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Crowned Member

One thing with the head halter is you should know that you cannot correct the dog harshly. Be gentle when you re-direct him. The neck loop should be right behind the ears, it will produce a calming effect when pressure is placed there. The soft-touch sensations harness http://www.softouchconcepts.com/ is a front clip so will direct the dog back to you when pull, just make sure it is fitted correctly and do not leave it on the dog, only for walks.
off topic~I just met a sweet 8 month old golden who had a harness on, sooo tight and the owner who was a bit mentally challenged, didn't realize his pup had gotten bigger. I helped him loosen it and I hope he continues to do so.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLeeWalking should be fun and relaxing for BOTH of us, for me to have a rigid exact position by my side isn't adding to either of our good times.
Doesn't sound like the OP is having a fun and relaxing time. Until she can properly train the dog to walk the way she wants I would work on having the dog by my side. The better he gets the more sniffing is allowed.

Eventually she should be able to walk him 'freely' (on leash) and have no problems bringing him back to the side when the situation warrants it.

• Thor & Riggs Brothers to the end. 24 May 2005 - 17 Jan 2017
  • Misha-9 yr Calico kitty, Mischief-9 yr tabby hellion (littermates)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Master Member

I walk both of my dogs at my sides. They're not allowed to stop/smell/potty as they please. I don't keep them in a "head at the leg" heel either, but they have to walk calmly next to me. I give 'em a foot or so of breathing room...so to speak. I like that it's time spent out in the world with the dogs looking to me to decide where to go, when to stop, etc etc. Pack leader walks in front!

One issue I had with the head halter...I did try a Gentle Leader with Marshall. It works WONDERFULLY with it on. Your dog will be calm and walk nicely by your side. However, when you take it off and try walking, it goes right back to where it was before in my experience. Plus the dog may not like it much (Marshall hated his, and I introduced it very slowly and positively). In my experience they don't like the strap over top of their nose...my experience is fairly limited with head collars...but my dog didn't like it at least. I haven't tried it again since.

I switched to a prong (how old is Ace by the way?) and that worked much better to help teach proper leash behavior (along with sit/stays, leave its, etc etc). Now it's 50/50 when I use the prong and no training collar at all. He behaves well either way.

I don't think that not allowing the dog to do whatever he wants on the walk makes it any less fun for him either. Starts and stops, changes of pace, stops to practice training, sitting for crosswalks and at busy street corners (which it already sounds like you're doing) make it fun for them. It teaches them to pay attention to you and use up some mental energy too...which makes the walk all the more effective.

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)
- Adopted Collie/Terrier Jack (8/2008)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Well it sounds like we are doing everything you guys are saying. I know with my ryder i used just a regular choke collar, but he always stayed by my side, and if he went wandering i just pulled a little and he came back. Now with ace we use a harness as it is easier to control him, just not when he is freaking out. I may look into the prong collar.

Oh Ace is 7 months old.

We are afraind with the head halters that it may in turn actually hurt ace, just by the way he reacts to another dog barking. SO i think we will leave that one out. But thanks for all the replys and keep them coming.

ANdrea

Andrea.....

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

okay ace has been doing great with his training, however i have to admit we have not been out in like 2 or three days because it decided to rain, get cold and snow. But now we are back to nice weather and i plan to take him out.

New questions, can i use hot dogs as a training treat? I don't really have anything else right now that will keep his attention.

Another question, my sons girl/friend was here the other day and ace just loved her. However, as Kayla was walking down my hallway Ace decided it was the prfect time to nip her butt and keep nipping. Now i have noticed that he has done this to me a couple of times. I don't really want him doing this, What can i do. He doesn't do it alot just every now and again.
\

Also when someone comes in and sits down on the couch how do i keep ace calm, everytime he comes in the house he is always so hyper. He gets my other shepherd going and they start running around, ace will bite and chew on ryders back legs. I really need him to chill in the house. Usually when they get real rambunctious i make them take it outside. But then they get out there and either bark or eat grap. YUCK So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrea

Andrea.....

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member

Hotdogs are fine, or when I was working on leash training with Anna she LOVED cheese...not the best thing nutritional wise, but it worked!

The nipping--redirect! I know it's hard to carry a toy with you at all times, but try this. Or teaching him "no bite" then using that command when he nips. Also, doing the "leave in a huff ignoring him" thing should work.

Use treats to calm him, work on the "focus/watch me" command. Or have a yummy filled kong or squirrel dude waiting for him to immediately occupy his mind and tastebuds!

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page