ways to ease coming to work with me - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

ways to ease coming to work with me

ok so i work construction. we mostly do landscaping and road building.

i have a truck with a canopy and a carpet i can put on the floor of the truck bed.

anyways. on the days where my gf isnt really home a lot i would like to be able to bring kyah to work with me. i figure it would be a lot more fun for her then sitting at home in a crate all day.

basically we take 20-30 minute breaks every 3 hours or so. so say we start at 7, we take a break at 10am, 1pm then go home around 3 or
4pm.

so what i want to do is convert my truck bed into a little area for my dog to hang out in. she will have the whole space with the carpet down and a bed for her to lie in. the windows slide open and have bug screens on them so she can get air circulation. so she can be safe but also not escape.

my question is what would be my best way to ease this big difference for her.

the way i see it is, she would hang out in the truck in the mornings till about 10am. then she can come out and hang out with me and the other guys and walk around the site where we are having a break for 20 - 30 minutes. play do her business, etc. then after she would need to go back in the truck until about 1pm. in which she could do the same play break. then back in the truck till we go home around 4pm.

she wouldnt be able to see me from the truck, which i think is good because she would get a little too excited about not being able to be with me. if she cant see me im guessing she will probably go to sleep. but she can see the machines moving and maybe other people walking around. different sounds, nothing very loud of couse.. so lots of things to keep her mind busy sometimes.

all in all i think this would be a better day for her then sitting in a quiet boring room alone all day.

now the thing is she is only 6 months old so when she gets out to see everyone she'll be really excited which is fine and expected. its just the part of getting her back in the truck while we go back to work. shes not going to understand why she cant come. so im wondering what i can do to make these parts easier on her. also getting used to a being in a new place all day.

- Chris

Kyah (born 09/09/2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD
Re: ways to ease coming to work with me

Is there anyway you can start by taking her for just a few hours and then build it up from there? For example she starts coming with you, but when you go on break at 10 she goes home. Once she's used to that, move it up so she goes home at 1. By the time she is on schedule with that, she should be able to come all day with you.

Be careful with carpet though! If she decides to chew and eat it while you are working, that is very dangerous. Very common to cause intestinal blockage.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Master Member

I agree w/shepherdmom, dogs especially if they're bored can end up eating the carpet and dying from it. If your truck has a plastic bed liner then it should be sufficient w/out need for a carpet. Or even just a metal bed is fine for dogs especially if its warm outside bec. the surface is cooler. One thing to worry about is summer weather. You'll have to make sure that it does not get too hot inside the canopy. You might need an electric fan that runs off batteries. You can also have ice in a plastic bag. Also, make sure you park under a shade and the shade stays even when the sun moves.
Its a great idea to take her to work and is additional socialization for her.
Just bring healthy treats with you, or small bags of kibble, and when your break ends and its time for her to go back in the truck, just throw the treats or kibble on the truck bed. Then she'll be rewarded for going back in the truck.
While she's waiting for you, you can also leave a rubber kong with peanut butter inside to keep her occupied.
At that age, I don't let them jump from the bed of the truck but I carry them down to prevent elbow dysplasia.
Also, even if your truck has a canopy, it w/d still be safer to have a secured crate on the bed, inside the canopy for her to travel in, when the truck is moving. Itsf or her protection, in case of an accident or just a sudden maneuver to avoid an accident. She can be out of the crate when the truck is not in motion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Crowned Member

I have the same set up except I've got a single bed mattress in my truck. Rafi had to spend most days back there for the first 7 weeks after I adopted him b/c he had separation anxiety. I followed a schedule much like you describe and he did fine. I also gave him plenty of appropriate things to chew and hid treats in the corners, etc.

All of my dogs have done the truck thing at some point in their lives and it's really just like a mobile kennel. Once they adjust to the routine they pretty much just sleep back there, as they would at home.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

hm ok. i dont know about being able to ease her into it. where im working is about an hour communte right now. so i cant really get her home after 10. though when we work saturdays its usually only for 5 or 6 hours. so maybe one of those days would be a good start.

i dont have a plastic liner in my bed, its just the metal. but im not to worried about heat problems at this point. it hasnt been above 7 degress C (44 fahreneit) in weeks. and they are expecting snow on next way. ugh..

but yes come the warmer months i do have shady places i can park all day.

i didnt really think about the carpet problem. i was just thinking it would help make it comfier for her. i guess i could just get a doggie bed for in there if she wants to lie down.

as for the driving she rides in the actual truck with me. behind my seat. i think shes much safer there then in the back.

thx for the tips guys. i know she likes it back there. i guess its like a little cave for her. the first time she went in there i expect her to jst jump out. but she almost fell asleep. hopefully i can find a day where i can ease her into this.

- Chris

Kyah (born 09/09/2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page