Going too fast - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Going too fast

Is there something like going too fast when it comes to basic obedience training?
We recently moved from puppy to first class. In puppy it was 90% socialization and 10% sit and heal work. Some familiarization with the agility equipment was done now and again. It was a very casual class and the trainer made sure each dog knew the command before moving on to the next command.
Since we've been in first class it's been going super fast. It started with perfecting the heal and sit. We're 3 classes into first class and already we're starting to cover about turn, right turn, left turn, stay, stand, recall with a tight front sit and side (from a tight sit in front to a sit at your left).
Now this confuses even me so I don't want to know how the dogs are feeling. Most of them are still young, youngest being 9 months.
Is this too fast? Should they be solid in one command before moving on to the rest? Or am I just being a sissy and should pull my socks up and get with the program?

Blake - 2008/06/03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Re: Going too fast

I forgot to add focus. But instead of getting the dog solid in focus first the trainer is already adding tons of distractions.

Blake - 2008/06/03
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Crowned Member

How old are these dogs? It sounds like too much for a young dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangHow old are these dogs? It sounds like too much for a young dog
I don't know the ages of them all but Blake is 10 months. He was the youngest in the class. If I remember correctly the ones who came over from puppy class with me is now 12 months old.

Blake - 2008/06/03
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Crowned Member

I think it depends on your goals for the dog. I have seen dogs as young as 9-12 weeks doing some nice heeling, sits with correct position in front and in heel, right and left finishes, etc. Personally, my goal with a puppy is enough obedience to control my dog (sit, down, and recall) and building more of a foundation for training. For example if I'm going to clicker train, I'm not really picky about the "correctness" of the behavior being done, but I want to encourage the dog to throw behaviors and be motivated by the clicker and whatever reward I'm using. For SchH, I'm working on transitioning my dog from food rewards to ball rewards, trying to encourage his ball drive and use that.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RavenSophi
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangHow old are these dogs? It sounds like too much for a young dog
I don't know the ages of them all but Blake is 10 months. He was the youngest in the class. If I remember correctly the ones who came over from puppy class with me is now 12 months old.
In that case, no I don't think it's necessarily too soon for this. Many dogs at my regular club (not my SchH club) start training for rally competition before they are 1 year. But again it really depends on your goals for the dog and how you want to train. GSDs are smart and attentive to their handlers. Those sorts of behaviors look cool and hard but really they are not that hard to get in just a session or two of training, provided the dog has been developed to be motivated by the reward you are using and has a good bond working with you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LiesjeI think it depends on your goals for the dog. I have seen dogs as young as 9-12 weeks doing some nice heeling, sits with correct position in front and in heel, right and left finishes, etc. Personally, my goal with a puppy is enough obedience to control my dog (sit, down, and recall) and building more of a foundation for training. For example if I'm going to clicker train, I'm not really picky about the "correctness" of the behavior being done, but I want to encourage the dog to throw behaviors and be motivated by the clicker and whatever reward I'm using. For SchH, I'm working on transitioning my dog from food rewards to ball rewards, trying to encourage his ball drive and use that.
I have no reserves about this club as they've gotten Blake to do things I've never imagined. When I first got him he wasn't very interested in playing and now he's so toy driven he even goes for the other dogs toys when the owner throws it, luckily he has good 'manners' and won't actually take the toy but like to chase it with the other lot. Actually pulled me off my feet at training thanks to his new found drive.
I'm just worried that it's overloading his brain but on the other hand he is a GSD!

I am still caught between just wanting a happy loving dog that isn't bored and that listens when you tell him something and a dog to do Sch with. So I suppose opinions from both camps would be appreciated.

Blake - 2008/06/03
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Liesje
Quote:
Originally Posted By: RavenSophi
Quote:
In that case, no I don't think it's necessarily too soon for this. Many dogs at my regular club (not my SchH club) start training for rally competition before they are 1 year. But again it really depends on your goals for the dog and how you want to train. GSDs are smart and attentive to their handlers. Those sorts of behaviors look cool and hard but really they are not that hard to get in just a session or two of training, provided the dog has been developed to be motivated by the reward you are using and has a good bond working with you.
Good to know. He does enjoy it so so so much. Even if I'm done after just an hour with another half an hour or more to go.

Blake - 2008/06/03
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Knighted Member

A lot of times classes may put enough stuff out there for you to work on at home between classes. They will not work continously on one command until solid before moving on to another-with group classes that is difficult to do since the teams will progress at different speeds.

It does not sound like a lot to me for the age of dogs you mentioned.

What is the instructors' expectations - how does he/she handled it if the dog doesn't do the sit in front tight. How long are you as a team given to reach that type of response?

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Everett54A lot of times classes may put enough stuff out there for you to work on at home between classes. They will not work continously on one command until solid before moving on to another-with group classes that is difficult to do since the teams will progress at different speeds.

It does not sound like a lot to me for the age of dogs you mentioned.

What is the instructors' expectations - how does he/she handled it if the dog doesn't do the sit in front tight. How long are you as a team given to reach that type of response?
Well, like I said, we've only been there for 3 times now so I can't really comment on how long we have as a team. If one handler does something wrong she will usually ask us to come out and will give us a little individual attention. We haven't really start to 'punish' when a dog doesn't do something because I think she knows the command isn't solid yet and we're still working on it. And she is much harder on the handlers than on the dogs...which is good IMO.

Blake - 2008/06/03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page