Questions on Leerburg - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Questions on Leerburg

Hello. Just wanted to say that I am a new member but have been reading a ton of info on this site and must say that it is great! I am about to be a somewhat new (pure) GSD owner and have been doing a lot of research on training methods. I came across Leerburgs site and find it very intersesting on his methods for raising dogs and was wondering if any of you have followed his principles and what the outcomes may have been? Good or bad. I know that some might find his methods harsh but wanted others opinions before I plunk down money for his DVD's. Thanks to anyone who replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: Questions on Leerburg

Members please keep in mind that any negative comments must be sent via PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Crowned Member

Here's my training method:

1. Using rewards I show the dog what I want them to do. I reward correct behavior and ignore incorrect. This is the learning stage for the dog.

2. After I am sure the dog understands what I want them to do I proof the behavior. I do this in many settings. Just because I taught the dog to Sit while we were in a quiet room in our house doesn't mean I should expect the dog to know how to do a sit in a crowded waiting room at the vets office. So I take the dog everywhere and proof the behavior.

3. By now I KNOW the dog understands what SIT means. Any non-compliance is met with a correction. I DO keep in mind that there may be a reason WHY the dog didn't perform to my expectations - like the dog has impacted anal glands ans sitting hurts.

This is what I do if I want 100% compliance 100% of the time - I get one of these

As far as Leerburg is concerned, I think there are other ways, IMHO better ways to teach a dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Crowned Member

I use a lot of Ed's training DVDs and articles and found him and his staff very helpfull, I would recommend him to anyone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Crowned Member

I like the Leerburg website. There's a lot of great information on it, and I point people to it frequently. That said, I take what works for me and what I'm comfortable using, and I leave the rest. Same with any other trainer and with any other type of training website.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Crowned Member

not as bright as the bald spot on the back of your big head

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Crowned Member

I take some, and I leave some. I like that he has shared a lot of articles and how-tos on his site. The only major thing where I differ is socializing my dogs, which I do extensively regardless of their status as a pet or "working"/performance dog.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

The socializing aspect is kind of confusing in regards to the "no one allowed to pet your dog" theory. Thanks for the replies.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangHere's my training method:

1. Using rewards I show the dog what I want them to do. I reward correct behavior and ignore incorrect. This is the learning stage for the dog.

2. After I am sure the dog understands what I want them to do I proof the behavior. I do this in many settings. Just because I taught the dog to Sit while we were in a quiet room in our house doesn't mean I should expect the dog to know how to do a sit in a crowded waiting room at the vets office. So I take the dog everywhere and proof the behavior.

3. By now I KNOW the dog understands what SIT means. Any non-compliance is met with a correction. I DO keep in mind that there may be a reason WHY the dog didn't perform to my expectations - like the dog has impacted anal glands ans sitting hurts.

This is what I do if I want 100% compliance 100% of the time - I get one of these

As far as Leerburg is concerned, I think there are other ways, IMHO better ways to teach a dog.
There is no "Leerburg" or "Ed Frawley" method of dog training. recently he has been encouraging people to try "Marker" training and has a few demo videos he's posted showing some of the results. I find that he is open minded enough to recognize something that is effective

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: StormsdadThe socializing aspect is kind of confusing in regards to the "no one allowed to pet your dog" theory. Thanks for the replies.
That's in his working dog video not his basic obed vid

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page