prong collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

prong collar

I am going to try to join a club that does all the different sports
and concentrate on obedience when all the other health issues are under control which should be soon am seeing improvement

It is 1 hour class 1-3 times a week

She reccommended a prong collar OH my they look like they hurt,,,
what are your opinions on them just for training I use a choke now when we are out,,,,,

KATHY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

Re: prong collar

If used correctly they are super.They pinch but don't hurt.Put on on your arm or leg and pop like you would for a dog to try it out.I am sure you will get LOTS of advice on this.They have rubber cover for the prongs if you are that afraid of it hurting.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Master Member

I thought they looked like medevil torture devices and I said I would NEVER use one. Well that was based on an uneducated decision. I refused to look at them or even try them. My vet and trainer recommended one for Dozer because of the size he is going to be so I agreed. I got one and I PUT IT ON MYSELF AND PULLED IT, IT DID NOT HURT, it pinched and I do not even have fur. I researched it and could not find one bad thing about them. It actually is better because it does not damage the throat like a choke collar or a flat collar. My 17lb Cairn pulls like a sled dog on a leash so I use a harness so i do not damage his windpipe. I used it on Scooter and within 4 feet he was trotting along side of me no problems, no gagging, it was AMAZING. They do not hurt so do not let people try to crucify you like they are going to do to me.

I will say this, you need to know how to use it PROPERLY. Have the trainer show you how to use it. It is not a hard correction that you need, it is a quick flip of the wrist. If it was so horrible would Dozer RUN wagging his tail when I take it out. He does not pull on the leash so he does not realize it is on. He even walks on a leash fine without it. I am buying Scooter and Sadie one this weekend.

Jess
Dozer (9/23/08-GSD),
Scooter (12/26/03- Cairn Terrier)
Sadie (7/24/2004- Carin Terrier)
Mylo (6/99 Maine Coon Kitty)
Ally (8/12/99 Ragdoll Mix Kitty)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD

I agree with Allie, used correctly they are a wonderful training tool. They are much safer than a choke collar as they don't cause damage to the neck, trachea, etc. I've tried them on my arm before too. Many people do not use them correctly though. They put them on the dog, and leave them on all the time and let them pull against the collar, not giving any corrections "pops" with the collar. Also, the small and medium collars are much more effective than the large sized links.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

What they said + a choke chain can literally choke Jack. If he's fairly obedient, you could try a fur saver collar.

If you go with a prong, make sure a trainer helps you fit him for it, shows you how to give a correction with it and most importantly how put it/take it off.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Crowned Member

I actually think the prong is better than other collars.

Used properly you never have a dog tugging and choking himself on either a leather, or worse a choke chain.

Use for training and walks but not as a collar to just wear around the house..

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Crowned Member

I think it's the Leersburg site that has a video on the correct placing ,sizing and using.I have to disagree with the person saying that smaller is better.I believe the size is due to the strength so if you have a young or small dog you want the small or medium but with a full size GSD you will want the heavy one.You don't want it to be able to loosen and come apart if it isn't strong enough to hold the dog.I use the small one on my 30 lb mutt and she walk awesome with it. If I don't use it she is pulling so hard she turns her ears and eyes red and pants.Also make sure you take it off when not using it for training.If it were to get hung up on something it would choke the dog.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

I don't leave home without a prong collar on Brady
Not that I need to correct him but I want to be able to have control if needed

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 PM
dOg
Elite Member

Word of caution about rubber tipped variety...some only have rubber tips to cover cut blunt wires, which can be sharp...not good. Better to
have rounded ends. Also, you have to remove the tips to attach, so
loss is likely, and then a sharp edge can be exposed.

<span style="color: #3333FF">proper-fit</span>

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

thanks for all the replys I wa afraid of it LOl thanks for all the explainations you are always a big help
The trainer said medium and well I am not puting it on him until I go there... I think it may be big Jack is not a big GSD he is only 67 lbs at 9.5 months and not too tall about 24-25 inches I am glad he is not big last one 110 and really TALL WAY TO BIG

KATHY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page