Dozer is ruining Scooter's life... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Dozer is ruining Scooter's life...

at least that how I feel and I feel really bad.

Scooter loves to play with Dozer BUT Scooter doesn't get to play anymore.
Scoot used to LOVE to play fetch with his little stuffed toys. He would grab one and come howling at me with the toy in his mouth in a play bow wiggling all over...until I got Dozer. It was the cutest thing ever and I feel like I have ruined it for Scoot. Dozer tackles him all the time and rips the toys right out of Scooter's mouth and 65lbs vs. 17lbs; Scoot loses, then Dozer rips his favorite toys up. I have to hide all of Scooter's toys (and I mean the 2 he has left). Scooter now will run for a toy, see Dozer and drop his toy and run.

I feel bad because I just want Scoot to be able to play like he has for the past 5 years. I have tried holding Dozer's collar so Scoot can play fetch but I can't even hold him. I have put Dozer in his crate and he throws a FIT!!!!!! Dozer will even get a little nasty trying to get the toy away from Scooter. I have even tried to throw the toy so Scoot can fetch it while I hold Doze, than I switch so they can take turns. Scooter does fine, Dozer just takes the toy and runs.

I know he is a puppy but Scooter should still be able to play the way he has for 5 years. Any ideas on how I can let Scooter get his play time in without the big bully, lol...

Jess
Dozer (9/23/08-GSD),
Scooter (12/26/03- Cairn Terrier)
Sadie (7/24/2004- Carin Terrier)
Mylo (6/99 Maine Coon Kitty)
Ally (8/12/99 Ragdoll Mix Kitty)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Dozer is ruining Scooter's life...

I'm no pro but my suggestion is this,Reinforce the stay command or Athena has come up with keeping a favorite ball in her mouth so she won't mouth Lexi when we play fetch.She still runs for the ball but usually lets Lexi bring it back.I have the similar problem of not being able to let Athena have stuffed toys because Lexi will rip it to shreds in minutes.Good luck.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I have tried to throw 2 different toys in different directions but Dozer just goes after Scooter. I have thought of putting Dozer in another room while I spend some time playing with Scoot but I think he would break down the door.
I have tried stayed and he is good at it but the second Scoot comes back with the toy Dozer cannot control himself.
It is the only time I feel like I cannot control him, and it is not a bad out of control. Just a happy, rambunctious LARGE puppy. I just want Scooter to still have fun too.

Seeing Scoot grab his toy and drop it quickly when he SEES Dozer makes me sad.

Jess
Dozer (9/23/08-GSD),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 PM

What about playing with Scooter while Dozer is napping in another room?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: CharlieBoyWhat about playing with Scooter while Dozer is napping in another room?
Your funny..I can't even whisper the words,play,ride or outside w/o someone running to my side...I can only imagine her dogs are the same way....

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

If Dozer napped I would do that. LOL He doesn't want to miss a single thing so he goes wherever I go.

I had them outside yesterday and Scooter was trying to play fetch with a stick he found. Dozer just grabbed it and broke it into pieces. I put Dozer inside and he scratched the door trying to get out so bad that it needs to be painted now.

Maybe I should just put him in his crate and let him throw a fit? Is that mean?

Jess
Dozer (9/23/08-GSD),
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AllieGYour funny..I can't even whisper the words,play,ride or outside w/o someone running to my side...I can only imagine her dogs are the same way....
I can play with my cocker spaniel after taking my GSD puppy for a long walk. Not trying to make anyone laugh
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I took Dozer for a 3 mile walk tonight and still couldn't play with Scooter. Dozer goes on lots of walks, bike rides, playing all day at daycare. Nothing stops him from getting in the middle of me and Scooter or me and Sadie. He could be sleeping and he senses I may be playing with them and he is right there. Tackling, biting, sitting on them.

Jess
Dozer (9/23/08-GSD),
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

You need to spend time with them separately and you also need to up the training with Dozer because he's being a bratty brother and getting away with it. If he's throwing a fit in his crate and so you've decided not to keep him in there while you play with Scooter then Dozer is learning a very effective way to get what he wants. Take Dozer for a really long walk, play with him then put him in a crate with something to chew and take Scooter out to play. If Dozer throws a fit--too bad for Dozer! Ignore it and eventually he'll stop.

You may have to keep the separate play times up for the rest of their lives but ideally, as Dozer gets older and learns more and you become a better pack leader, he could be taught to wait his turn when playing.

ETA: I have had a Dozer type dog before. I had to learn a lot of new training techniques because I realized that he was resource guarding me from the other animals! If you don't nip that in the bud it will get worse and could prove dangerous for your little dogs as Dozer matures.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I think the fact that he is a puppy makes him want to play a lot. Even if Scooter and Sadie are playing together he has to get involved. He is not mean or aggressive, just needs to be in on the fun. I have been putting him in his crate and leaving him in there while he throws a fit but I feel bad when I do it. I will NOT let him out of the crate until he is calm so I just go in the other room until he stops.
He has gotten better and SOMETIMES when he is trying to takes Scooter's toys I tell him to leave it and he will but not always. The second I throw it he runs behind Scoot. Most dogs, especially puppies would. I just want to be sure I am not mean by not letting him play when Scoot is. I think I can stop it but then I feel like I may make Doze resent Scoot.

Sounds silly I know...

Jess
Dozer (9/23/08-GSD),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page