Broke down and hired a dog trainer - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Broke down and hired a dog trainer

A local dog trainer performed a free demo at our house with her amazingly well trained Begian Malinois.

I was a little concerned when I found out that she recommends an ecollar, but when I felt the "buzz" I realized it doesn't actually shock the dog, just jars them back to attention. She put it on my dog to demonstrate and Schatzi jumped a couple of feet in the air the first time she felt it. Yes, she's a bit of a drama queen.

I signed up for one-on-one sessions and am very excited. My back can no longer take her bolting after squirrels. She just started that recently.

Will keep you posted on how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Broke down and hired a dog trainer

What did she have it set on?I thought it was just suppose to startle them not cause that much discomfort.I'm not against Ecollars if used correctly and not abused.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You are doing the training WITH the trainer, right?

I also use the e-collar for crittering, but have to say it's only after all the normal months of group dog obedience classes. That way I know I've tried everything else (that usually works on other dogs) before resorting to the e-collar.

Even the e-collar isn't a the quick fix it initially appears to be. You still need the months and months of training so your dog really learns the commands, not just learns to obey when they have the collar on.

Over half the people I know that use the collar fail to do it properly. They don't keep the collar on the dog for the necessary MONTHS. And instead end up with a collar smart dog. That doesn't listen when you forget to put the collar on and that darn squirrel darts past and you just have to watch them both tear off and away...................................

Good luck though, and if you do go with the trainer, PLEASE realize you are committing to putting that e-collar on your dog for the next months and months and months if you really want to train your dog.

Also helps to read up on the e-collars, have you seen Lou Castle's site? http://www.loucastle.com/articles.htm

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

My friend adopted a 1 yr old untrained Malinois, very sweet but WILD. she has made much progress with the e collar, good luck,
keep training it works according to her, she has arthritis in her hands, it was a must, she wanted to take him for walks, etc now she can

Sashi
ALWAYS REMEMBERED
Sept 1, 1999- Aug 11, 2008

Neek
Our special needs Rescue
adopted 09-March
4 yr old
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: gslore She put it on my dog to demonstrate and Schatzi jumped a couple of feet in the air the first time she felt it. Yes, she's a bit of a drama queen.
Was this set at the lowest setting for starters? If your dog jumped like that it sounds like it may have been set higher.

Not against e-collars. I have one in my bag. But I thought when first using it, you start at the lowest setting a move it up until the dog acknowledges the tingle-with a raised eye or head movement.

Good Luck - let the training begin!

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the input!

It was set extremely low. I could barely feel the buzz. But, it definitely got Schatzi's attention.

We did a few months of obedience training and she knows her commands, but she still walks me. Squirrels are a definite issue, but I really get worried when she goes after cars. That's gotten better, but I'm still uncomfortable enough with it to hire a professional.

Yes, I have several sessions (over a good period of time) with the trainer so I can learn how to properly use it. There is no way I would attempt to use an ecollar without being properly trained myself. I've heard how it can easily be misused.

Thanks for sending that link. I will read up on the ecollar.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to southerncharm Send a message via Yahoo to southerncharm

You chose a great trainer! Renee is very nice and knowledgeable, I've emailed back and forth with her a few times. She's a fellow National K-9 Grad - I'm sure you'll be in good hands!

~Rachel, CPT

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Master Member

The e collar works differently on different dogs. Marley has one and she jumps sky high when it beeps the warning!!! The lowest setting is all I have ever had to use. It is a buzzing feeling. Sort of like holding a vibrator in your hand???

Mom to 4 girls
Marley - 1 yr GSD
Sampson - Chesapeake Bay Retriever 11 yrs
Precious - Witch kitty 10 years
Nike- 1yr Pound Puppy
Tinkerbell- 9 mo kitty
Lucy - 6 mo GSD - At the bridge
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Everett54
Quote:
Originally Posted By: gslore She put it on my dog to demonstrate and Schatzi jumped a couple of feet in the air the first time she felt it. Yes, she's a bit of a drama queen.
Was this set at the lowest setting for starters? If your dog jumped like that it sounds like it may have been set higher.
There are not uncommon such reactions the firt time an e-collar is put on a dog. It is something absolutely unexpected for them and it is more the dog being startled than actually in pain. They may even yelp, like when you are seeing an horror movie or a friend give you a scare from behind.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned

Here's some video of what it looks like when a dog I'm training feels his first stim. If you get a dog "jumping a couple of feet in the air" I'll say that the level is quite a bit too high for that dog in that environment.

LOOK HERE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page