Need info on choke collars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to bookjunky4life
Need info on choke collars

I just learned that my boss's adult son keeps a choke chain collar on their Mexican hairless terrier dog (don't know actual breed name, its a medium sized black hairless dog). They treat the dog really well but are just ignorant on this issue. The dog stays in the house alone when they are out so I'm afraid he will catch the ring on something and choke himself. I need a good reference page from a reputable source (that a novice dog person might know of) that I can print out and give them regarding the danger of leaving a chain choke collar on your dog unattended. They have always thought its just a regular collar like a nylon collar and have not thought of it as purely a training collar. Any suggestions for a good reference? I've googled it but haven't found anything.

Kayla
Captain of Muddy Waters, CGC, AKC GSD - 5 yr old male
Rising Star of Juneau, CGC, CKC Alaskan Malamute - 2.5 yr old male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Need info on choke collars

http://www.healthyhomesforkidsandpet...arhazards.html

http://www.helpinganimals.com/animal...ogs_collar.asp

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Master Member

If you can't find something in writing, have them ask their vet about it. No offense to your boss or his son, but anyone should be able to see the danger behind leaving that kind of collar on a dog all the time.

Personally, I don't condone the use of a choke chain EVER, as corrections (even when performed properly) can cause damage to the dog's trachea. I would recommend a prong collar for training, it does sting the dog when you correct, but it doesn't cause permanent damage like a choke chain can. Just my opinions...but hope they help.

Christian

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)
- Adopted Collie/Terrier Jack (8/2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Christian2009Personally, I don't condone the use of a choke chain EVER, as corrections (even when performed properly) can cause damage to the dog's trachea. I would recommend a prong collar for training, it does sting the dog when you correct, but it doesn't cause permanent damage like a choke chain can. Just my opinions...but hope they help.

Christian
I don't mean to hijack the thread but recently, a border patrol K9 officer advised me very strongly AGAINST prong collar and suggested choke chains instead. I was leaning initially towards the prong. His argument was that the prong will turn a good tempered dog into an aggressive one. He also said that that's why they use prongs in the border security force. Does that sound right? Again, sorry if I went off-topic, but it seemed like a related topic.

UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy

Foxy 8/13/12 (Gotcha Day -- 1.5 year old at adoption)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Crowned Member

sounds like the border k9 needs to go back to doggie 101 class. No it won't

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Crowned Member

No, that is NOT right.

It CAN make an aggressive or reactive dog more aggerssive or reactive. But it won't turn a good tempered dog into an aggressive dog.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: UConnGSD His argument was that the prong will turn a good tempered dog into an aggressive one. He also said that that's why they use prongs in the border security force. Does that sound right? Again, sorry if I went off-topic, but it seemed like a related topic.
That is total BS. No collar is going to cause a dog's temperament to do a complete 180. It is merely a tool for training, and the prong is more effective, more humane, more adjustible in terms of correction level, and safer than a choker.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to bookjunky4life

I knows tons of people who train obedience with prongs and not one dog has "turned" aggressive. I suppose if you abused the dog with the prong it could do so, but that's with any tool or method. I hear there are a few folks who can use a choke collar as an effective correction but I sure can't and I consider myself a fairly skilled trainer. I agree with Christian2009 in that I don't condone choke collar's ever. This situation, however, is just a home living situation, not a training one. He's already well behaved.

Kayla
Captain of Muddy Waters, CGC, AKC GSD - 5 yr old male
Rising Star of Juneau, CGC, CKC Alaskan Malamute - 2.5 yr old male
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Crowned Member

When Ciana was a puppy, I used to keep a nylon martingale collar on her with her tags on it. (It's like a choke collar, but it's nylon.) She was in the crate when I was working.

One day I came home from work. Her tags were broken off the collar and she came SCREAMING out of her crate like the devil was after her.

I can't say for sure, put it sure looked like the tags got caught on her crate wires and she panicked. Eventually, she broke the collar loose from the tags. I felt very bad.

Now my dogs only wear flat leather buckle collars (no tags). And now that I know about positive training, I haven't needed any special training collar in years. I keep a set of nylon collars with tags that I put on my dogs when I travel. I keep them in the car in case I'm ever questioned about licenses.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Crowned Member

Mexican Hairless Dog = Xoloitzcuintli

http://www.dogstrainingguides.com/Choke-Collars-Don't-Always-Train-The-Perfect-Dog.html

Middle of the article it talks about not leaving one on the dog 24/7.

Another thing you could point out - since the dog is hairless it could be irritating their skin, constantly rubbing it.

I don't have a collar on my hairless girl unless we are going somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page